Crochet gauge

CrochetingRachel

Question

Hi there! The pattern I am making is this one:

http://www.free-crochet.com/members/download.html?code=FC00950

It says 7 sc=4 in & 1 xstich & 1 sc row = 1 1/2 inch. I did my swatch using an N/9 mm hook and I am dead on with the height at 1 x-stitch & 1 sc row being 1 1/2 inches, but my 7 sc are short by about a half inch. Is that an acceptable variance in this type of pattern or should I keep trying to get it to match?

Thanks in advance for the feedback :D

Rachel

9 answers to this question

Try crocheting a bit looser with the size N hook and see if that make a difference. A variation in the gauge doesn't matter if you can compensate for it. For example, if you are making a blanket, just add enough stitches to make it the width you want.

1/2 inch is a little more than you would want to vary from what the pattern calls for. Your Teddy bear might be a little disproportionate, but not by much. I agree with Gremlin, you could probably solve it by just crocheting looser. Sometimes that is difficult if you have never had to push your crochet stitches toward looser or tighter. You will need to keep rechecking your gauge throughout the project. But its not that hard and will probably get you closer to gauge than going up a size in hook. Normally that is what I would suggest -- just go up one hook size. But I am confused about which hook you are using. Looking at this hook chart: http://www.craftyarncouncil.com/hooks.html it shows a number 9 is actually a J hook and an N hook is either a 13 or a 15. Maybe you would want to check your hook size again.

Ahhh... I think I have it. Here is another chart and it shows both the mm size of the hook and the letter along with the number. Very confusing with all of these different ways to call a hook! http://karpstyles.com/crochet/hook-chart.html

So it shows a 9.00 mm hook is also called a 15 or N hook. So .... I am guessing you are using the N/15 hook. To go up a size you would have to use a P hook and it is quite large. Easier in my opinion, to just crochet a little looser.

Sorry, I mistyped the hook size, my apologies :eek

I am using an N/9/13 mm. I will try going looser and see what happens. I did my 118 chain and it seems kinda short. Maybe I will add 4 more chains so I can add another inch or two. Not that the recipient needs more length lol... She's only 4"8' (she's 42 lol) but I want her to be able to snuggle all up in it, so longer is better :)

I am using an N/9/13 mm. I will try going looser and see what happens. I did my 118 chain and it seems kinda short. Maybe I will add 4 more chains so I can add another inch or two. Not that the recipient needs more length lol... She's only 4"8' (she's 42 lol) but I want her to be able to snuggle all up in it, so longer is better :)

There is no N 13mm that I know of just 9mm and 10mm and the pattern calls for 9mm so make sure you are reading your hook right. Mary

Yes -- on some charts you will see that the N comes in both 13 and 15. So, I might move up to the 15 mm -- It will make just a slight difference and that is all you need. Here is one: http://www.hassdesign.com/BasicFiletTechniques/CrochetHooksAndThread/ and another: http://crochetbrain.co.uk/crochet-hooks.php I don't know why they have that variance in the larger sizes.

There is no N 13mm that I know of just 9mm and 10mm and the pattern calls for 9mm so make sure you are reading your hook right. Mary

Several charts will show an N hook as both a #13 and #15 (see my example links above) -- those are numbers not mm. The mm is 9 or 10. Since the pattern calls for a 9 mm, then she needs to stick with the #13 hook whether it be an M or an N.

I don't understand why the variance at the larger end of the scale. I also do not understand why we don't use JUST the mm for the number. Why have two numbers -- one being just an arbitrary number and the other the actual mm of the hook. We should just go by mm IMO!

If it is the pink and white afghan that you linked to the gauge really isn't going to be that important. I mean - you can make it as long or short as you want to.

If the 118 chains is shorter than you would like it to be just continue chaining, then work the first row until it's the length that you want it to be, finish it off with the last dc and then undo the rest of the chains that you have left over.

Yes, it's the pink & white afghan that the link was a supposed to go to.

Thanks for the great help everyone! I feel much more confident now. Can't wait for my work day to end so I can go home & continue on!!

Archived