Saying No Politely...

hookd1989

Not all Texans think Afghans are impractical. I have two kids.. one is always burning up and the other is always freezing. The kid who is freezing grabs almost every afghan I make and has it on her bed. >grin<

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This is the first time ever in my entire 47 years of walking this earth I've ever heard anyone view an afghan as impractical. I've made several as baby and bridal presents. But people are different. What's impractical to one isn't to someone else.

Excuse me, but I said afghans were an impractical gift. Huge difference. Like I said before, if you don't know that the person uses them or wants one, it might not be a good idea.

Also, impractical isn't an insult. I have many impractical things that I love dearly! I'm sure we all do.

• 3 weeks later...

A girl I know had the nerve to ask me if I had any baby blankets sitting around that I'd made because she had a baby shower to go to and wanted the people there to think that she'd made it for them! ARGH!

While I am nowhere near good enough to have this problem, my Mom is. And since we live in Georgia, the afghan 'problem' is the same here, usually people want them in a certain color to drape a chair or whatever. So my Mom's solution is this, She says, "Yes, I would love to make this for you, under one condition, If you end up hating it, not having a use for it, or just plain changing your mind, All I ask is that instead of keeping it so you don't hurt my feelings and storing it in a closet forever, please donate it to a charity." She says this works well for her, because not only are you giving them permission to have an opinion without insulting you, you are making sure that someone somewhere will grow to love and appreciate your work, even if they don't know it's yours.

Bean

I'm another who says make the afghan. Everyone I've ever know in my 44 years loved getting them. Very, very few of my friends or family want a sweater or slippers. Those things gather dust in the closet faster than afghans.

Afghans can be folded on the end of a bed, the back of a couch or chair, put in a car for picnics, on the floor for babies, etc. The best way to avoid getting it tossed and forgotten in a closet is to make it in a color and a pattern that the person you're giving it to would like. NOT something you want. My sister detests all things red, white, and blue so I would NEVER make her those colors.

For me personally, I live in Atlanta, GA, It's hot and it's humid. Guess what? I live under blankets and afghans year round. In the winter it's cold and in the summer, my husband has the air down enough that I'm cold.

As for what I give, I try to give what they like. The gift is for them, not for me.

• 3 weeks later...

I have never had anyone ask me for things, but most of the stuff i make i have given as gifts. I made an afghan for my dad, that once it had stretched a couple of holes were in it where i hadn't stitched the squares. My dad thought the dog had done it and was ready to kill her.

I always have people asking if I can make a teddybear from their mother's or grandmother's (or whomever's) old fur coat. I just tell them I don't do that type of thing. I then refer them to someone or some group who might be interested in helping.

"No" is the hardest word to say but also the most important word sometimes.

Everyone who knows me knows that I sell crafts, so thankfully most know in advance they will be paying. Sometimes I do have family members who ask for things, and for them, I give stuff as Christmas or birthday gifts. Occassionally, I do have people who still ask for stuff for free. I had a neighbor once tell me "I'd like this. You can try out a new pattern. Doesn't matter if it has mistakes" She thought if I messed it up, it would be free. I just ignored her. Sometimes my mom gets requests for my "free" stuff too. She puts on her brightest smile, laughs, and says "you can't afford her."

Archived