There are tons of ways to embellish bags. I've been having fun showing some bag makers just a handful of them. One way is to make a pretty little strap that is a surprise in itself, because it is made with another technique that does not follow the usual road. . .This is the case of this strap. Easy as can be once you learn the direction of the knots and very pretty when done.

If you're interested in using it on your next bag, you will find the FREE tutorial here:

http://craftypursenalityshoppe.blogspot.com/2011/08/half-hitch-bag-strap.html

Enjoy! ;)

Clotilde

post-930-135897691836_thumb.jpg

I really like that and it takes me back -- way back -- to my Navy days when we had to learn all sorts of knots in basic training. I never used them again after boot cap but now I can again! The half hitch was one I do remember!

I just ordered the Wonder Knitter too so I could start making some rope straps to use with totes. My dad used to have all of us kids make ropes using a home made knitting spool tool. We made them out of nylon and he used these ropes for everything, boat anchor, boat tie off ropes, tarp tie downs, all sorts of things. I was going to make my own, but I could not find the large wooden spools we used to have. So, I caved in and ordered a plastic one! After I ordered it, I did find a much cheaper model that looked more like the one dad made us. But I am sure I will like the Wonder Knitter just fine too.

Thank you for sharing your half-hitch purse strap!

You're very welcome! You know, just changing an element here or there can make a different bag of a tried old pattern that you love best and can make with your eyes closed. Change the straps on the same tote, for example, it will make the same thing look different. Experiment!

Archived