Acrylic v Cotton for hat/mittens and warmth

Daniella

I've only used cotton myself, but I'm making a hat and mitten set for someone and don't plan to line it. I don't have a big selection of yarn on hand, and the only cotton colours I can pick up quickly are off white or yellow. I have a feeling that she wouldn't care what type of material it is, just as long as it's not expensive and I can get the colour she wants.

Would acrylic be just as warm as cotton? If so, what suggestions would you have for working with acrylic?

Acrylic is warmer and stretchier than cotton. It should work perfect for hats and mittens. I always use acrylic for hats and scarves.

• 2 weeks later...

I actually like an acrylic with a touch of wool in it. It just seems to feel nicer and holds up well. :manyheart

The hat I just know how to make, but I'm using a pattern from the mittens. I'm sort of embarrassed that I don't have any experience with acrylic, I thought it would be more airy.

No need to be embarrassed, we all learn about new yarns as we go. :yarn:yarn. Cotton is a versatile fiber so you can do a lot with it. Cotton breathes but acrylic doesn't, so acrylic holds heat better.

I agree with Cllinda that an acrylic-wool blend would be nice.

I always use acrylic when making hats and scarves since I do a lot for charity. I often double the yarn or use one strand worsted, one strand sport, depending on the pattern for the hats to give them a bit more warmth. Never used a blend, I am not sure since much of it goes to shelters and outreaches if it is feasible when it may need to be washed.

LI Roe

I always use acrylic when making hats and scarves since I do a lot for charity. I often double the yarn or use one strand worsted, one strand sport, depending on the pattern for the hats to give them a bit more warmth. Never used a blend, I am not sure since much of it goes to shelters and outreaches if it is feasible when it may need to be washed.

LI Roe

Lion brand Woolease is machine washable and dryable. It only has about ten percent wool but it does make it feel nice.

Lion brand Woolease is machine washable and dryable. It only has about ten percent wool but it does make it feel nice.

Thanks. And I had just bought Lion Brand Woolease when Michaels had it on clearance. Never realized that. Duh!!! I must be in yarn overload. :).

LI Roe

Archived