Alpaca????

knotme

I have to start off by saying that my husband must love me! :manyheart He did some work for my BIL's family who happen to raise Alpacas. He said the only thing he wanted in turn was some yarn. What a guy, huh? Anywho, he got me 7 skeins of 1 3/4 oz. variegated pink and purple yarn. My dilemma is what do I do with it! I don't know much about the fiber and don't know what would be a good pattern.:hook

oooh how lucky...

i mail ordered some Bernat Frenzy which is only 10.5% alpaca (and 10.5% mohair) but it is SOOOO soft...gonna make a couple of scarves out of them, since they are softer than any yarn ive had i figure a scarf would be the best...

i am going to use this pattern if you want to check it out...

http://www.bernat.com/pattern.php?PID=1075

seems easy enough!!

• 2 weeks later...

Alpaca is WONDERFUL to work with. It is comparable in softness only to cashmere and angora rabbit. The main thing to remember is that it has no "memory." Meaning after a while the fiber won't hold a shape like wool. Best is to try to find a little mix with some wool. I spin alpaca, and I usually either ply it with a soft wool, or comb a little in before spinning. If anyone would like to try a little, email me and I'll send you a few yards to try.

I've never been able to afford Alpaca. But, it is my mother's FAVORTE yarn. She makes everything out of it. Sweaters, socks, you name it. Every time I've tried something that she recomends, I end up liking it a lot. I'm so excited. She just bought me some to make my husand some slippers.

I've never been able to afford Alpaca. But, it is my mother's FAVORTE yarn. She makes everything out of it. Sweaters, socks, you name it. Every time I've tried something that she recomends, I end up liking it a lot. I'm so excited. She just bought me some to make my husand some slippers.

Have you looked at Knit Picks? Their Alpaca yarns are VERY affordable, and extremely nice, as are all their yarn lines!

There are many affordable alpaca yarns, the cheapest being Plymouth's Baby Alpaca dk and grande these are fabulous yarns and sell for under 6$ in most retail shops.

I bought some alpaca at the Maryland Sheep and Wool Festival several years ago and made a lacy long-sleeved sweater to wear over my blouse in the cold winter. It was easy to work with. Seemed kind of "puffy". The stitches held well. Unfortunately I cannot wear the sweater. I found out that I can crochet with it but wearing it is agony. So my sister has a new sweater. (So far I'm allergic to sheep wool, angora, cashmere, merino, alpaca, mohair and meriangora wools).

Archived