Question about a baby afghan,.

I have been asked to make a baby afghan for a friends son and wife who is expecting their first son in October. She wants it to be green camo. I'm thinking of doing the inside of the squares green camo & then the outside a color of green (not sure on the other color just yet...taking suggestions). I'm thinking of doing just a couple rows of sc around.

Now, She asked me how much I would charge. I have never made a blanket for profit before, how much do you think would be a reasonable price? Should I wait to see how it turns out?

I'm going to be doing it in Granny Squares. I'm not sure on a good pattern just yet, I still have to look around. If I do 6 inch squares, how many do you think I should do for a baby blanket? I was originally thinking 30 or 36, for 30, 6 down 5 across or just do an even 6 down AND across?

I've never actually completed a blanket using squares before, so any help or tips would be wonderful!

A good rule of thumb is three times the cost of materials. I recently made a blanket and hat for a co-worker. I only charged $40 (materials were $20), but it was an extremely easy and quick pattern. If it required much more of my time, I would have went for $60. Here's a link to what I made - http://www.crochetville.org/forum/showthread.php?t=129568

It's really up to you about the charge. Do you want to actually make money? Then it will be expensive for the other person, but totally worth it in most cases. I don't like making squares and sewing/crocheting them together so I would charge a lot to do it. :lol

For a baby afghan, I would go about 36 X 36 or so. 30 squares with a border would get it to that size. 6 squares by 6 squares would get you there without a border.

I suggest getting at least some, if not, all of the money up front. I have heard too many horror stories of people who were asked to crochet a baby blanket for someone, and then, told how much it cost, refused to buy it. Leaving the poor crocheter out the money for the supplies and her time, as well as a bad taster in her mouth re: commissioned sales. And green camo would not be easy to give to someone else instead.

Half the money up front, half on completion, if she's a friend, you gotta apply some trust here, lol. I have gotten upwards of a hundred bucks for a baby christening afghan, and it's just hard to say, for freinds, I let them chose what they can pay, outside of the cost of yarn, and they never disappoint me by low balling it. With others, it's best to get most of the money up front, at least half, that way, your expense for the supplies will be covered, please make sure you tell her, or even better (if you are comfortable doing it) get it in writing, that the money down (half) is not refundable if she changes her mind half way through, as there is no way you would get reinbursment then for the yarn. Good luck, hope to see pics when you get it done!

It's been my experience that when someone asks, "What would you charge?" they are really asking, "Will you make it for free?" LOL

If it's a friend I usually go ahead and make the blanket as a gift. I figure I'll end up making a gift anyway... If it's not someone I'd typically make a gift for, then I respectfully decline. It's just easier than the awkwardness of quoting a price.

That said, some people use the "Cost of Materials X 3" method. I'm not a fan of this one as it often undercuts what a fair wage should be. I prefer the "Hourly Wage X Hours Worked + Cost of Materials" equation. It's fair, but customers usually balk at the figure.

The bottom line is to charge what you think is fair. Enough to keep both you and your customer from feeling cheated. It's not easy, but it can be done. :)

I appreciate the help ladies! Since I already had the yarn, and won't have to buy more, I decided to charge $15 for it, simply for the time. I might be undercutting myself, but since she is a friend, and going through a divorce, I don't wanna seem greedy.

Here is a picture of one square. I'll post a finished product picture (when I get it done) in the appropriate forum!

post-46820-135897672552_thumb.jpg

I like the simple stitch since the 'ghan is for a baby boy. I think it would look great with a thin black border. Anything lighter might just fade into into the background. I love grannie's bordered in black, reminds me of stained glass.

Sherry

p.s. thanks, ladies, for the pricing formulas. I always have problems with this.

If she is your friend you could make the blanket for free and consider it your gift at the shower. Just because she asked you to make it doesn't mean you have to make that AND get a gift. When I charge for things I try to cover my costs and a little for my effort and balance that with reasonable cost. If it's an easy project I charge a smaller price. If a lot of work went into it then I charge more. :)

Archived