Boyle Ergonomic Aluminum Crochet Handle

marycat

Just picked this up at my local Michael's today and wondering if anyone else has tried it? It works with crochet hooks from B(2.25mm) all the way up to K(6.5mm).

I noticed alot of different crochet stuff when I was there like some stuff from the Crochet Dude and some Rosewood hooks, but at 19.99 each I don't think I'll be buying those hooks but they looked very nice.

I did notice that they no longer have any Susan Bates crochet products but are selling more Boyle ones, which I don't mind as I have used both and prefer Boyle hooks.

I haven't had any problem with just the usual crochet hooks, although I remember once when I was using two strands of worsted weight held together in order to make a bag for my best friend, I got a blister from the size printed on the hook, so maybe I should have used a handle. LOL.

I've thought about using the ergonomic handles before, but I've always wondered if it would throw off my crocheting stride, so to speak.

I've noticed them, but I've found that the Bates hooks with bamboo handles are still my favorites. I plan on ordering them in all sizes, including the steels, just because I like my options open, heh. If I can't get some sizes I may try an ergo handle.

I've noticed them, but I've found that the Bates hooks with bamboo handles are still my favorites. I plan on ordering them in all sizes, including the steels, just because I like my options open, heh. If I can't get some sizes I may try an ergo handle.

I love my Susan Bates hooks with bamboo your going to love the steel hooks with bamboo I got the whole set of them. They feel so comfortable in your hand.

I would love to get some bamboo hooks. I love the bamboo yarn and the bamboo hooks always seem like they'd be so comfortable to hold, but I'm so set in my ways.

In fact, I just had to replace my hooks because I keep them in those Boye hook holders, you know, and I thought I lost it. As it turned out, they were with a project I hadn't worked on since Christmas, and I actually just found them the other day, along with my stitch markers and my ROW COUNTER. LOL.

So I'm not going to be getting any more hooks any time soon.

I do not like the bamboo handled bates hooks. I guess it's just the way I hold my hook and that bamboo gets in the way? :shrug I DO love the clover soft touch. I did find the soft touch in larger size (K, L, N) on Amazon. They are plastic, but not cheapo plastic and handle nicely

I do not like the bamboo handled bates hooks. I guess it's just the way I hold my hook and that bamboo gets in the way? :shrug I DO love the clover soft touch. I did find the soft touch in larger size (K, L, N) on Amazon. They are plastic, but not cheapo plastic and handle nicely

I tried them; I bought the whole set from Joann's with a coupon. They are nice I agree. I've seen others using the Clover and loving them. Just too small/short for my baseball mitts! :D I hold mine knife hold, I believe? The Bates w/bamboo runs across my palm and then the fingers grip it. It allows my pinky to grasp it, without getting cramped.

• 3 weeks later...

I broke down and bought one of the boyle eggy hook holders yesterday and just gave it a maiden voyage this morn..wow I really like it have put in both plastic and metal hooks and works well with both I am a pencil and enjoying it..but you knives will get a thrill ride with it I would imagine lol..the egg part is semi- cushy and soft feels good on my fingers so far..I like this model better than that wooden egg holder I have seen..this has a smooth transition all the way up compared to the wooden egg that has that metal grooved ring that I think would snag your yarn,plus this has a nice long handle at the top of the egg for more support for your hands no matter how you hold hook..if you have any problems with your wrists or hands I really would suggest trying this holder and see how it goes for you before you are ready to give up..so far I am impressed by this design..

my only con to this is that they could have added a little case to keep the little washers in, but any little bag or box takes care of that..

I broke down and bought the egro handle Thursday. I don't like the bamboo handled hooks.

I have recently been playing with socks and smaller hooks. Mine is going to be well used and loved.

I have tendonitis so the small hooks have given me trouble for years. I thought the handle looked cheezzy but my hand loves me. This was my last step before a grip ease. It is well worth the money in my humble opinion. My mother who likes the bamboo hooks thinks I am crazy.

Back to work and socks

Laura

I bought one yesterday but need to start a new project so I can try it out. I am a fan of the Clover hooks as well and have used them for years. This looks like it will be lighter to hold than the Bates bamboo handled hooks.

Will weigh in here again when I have tried it out.

I don't know about this being lighter than the bates bamboo handled hook, but I always have to add a padded gushy grip to the valley of those adding to the weight ..I am finishing up a dog sweater with this holder and nothing has popped out, bent or broken so far really loving it..plus the fact I don't have to retire my fav hooks..I am a bates quicksilver fan but sometimes I like a boyle end to get into tight stitches, at times I enjoy my plastics as when working with that hateful homespun :) and a tad stringy pound of love ,with this I have a choice, once you get used to this holder it almost stitches for you I know that sounds weird but you will see what I mean the motion is almost effortless I guess I mean it almost does the lifting tugging for you less wear and tear on your wrists,hands and fingers/hope to hear more reviews..

• 2 weeks later...

Moonfest, how do you hold your Boye Ergo handle? If you use an overhand hold, do you place the eggy shape part in the palm of your hand?

I've used mine for a couple of weeks now. The texture and feel of the handle is awesome. I totally love it.

As for the hold, I use an overhand/knife hold. At some moments, my fingers do well. But, during my work, I may adjust my fingers and I feel a strain in my fingers/hand. I believe it's a few things that may be causing the strain:

1. I tense up and may hold the handle too tight.

2. I hold the handle with my finger tips as if I am still holding the hook by itself. Therefore, my thumb joint sticks out which eventually cause pain to radiate up my forearm.

3. Based on point 2 above, I can't hold it with my finger tips because the eggy part of the handle is too fat to hold it like that.

This is a great concept. I am a knife hold right-hander and tried this out tonight with a Bates J hook.

It was comfortable in the hand at first. As I worked with it, though, the bulb part began to feel heavy in my hand. I have tiny hands and short fingers, and I struggled with the weight of it. Don't know if I could use it on a lengthy project; I also found it to be a little tough on the wrist while chaining.

If you do not have petite hands, this product might be of interest to you. It's just not destined to be a regular use tool for me. :(

Anyone else try this out yet?

Archived