Tunisian Crochet in the Round: Hooks

tacomagic

I've recently been getting into Tunisian and Entrelac crochet. After a bit of a mishap making an Entrelac bag and then finishing with single crochet I realized I needed a better way to finish off such work. The single crochet has much, much less elasticity than the Tunisian Simple Stitch; which made my work turn out a little wonky when I combined the two.

After a quick bit of research I discoverd that you can Tunisian in the round :hook but it requires a double sided hook or a set of enterchangable hook loops.

Unfortunately there aren't a lot of reviews out there on these hooks and loop sets so I'm hoping there are a few Tunisian gurus who can recommend some hooks to me.

So what hooks do you favor for doing double ended Tunisian work in the round? Clover makes a pretty wide line of hooks, but they're rather expensive. On the other hand there are some rather affordable sets with enterchangable hook ends; but there seems to be some concern that the connection sites wear down rather quickly.

Any help here is, as always, appreciated.

-Taco

I haven't had any problem with my interchangeable hooks wearing down. I use the Denise Interchangeable hooks. When working Tunisian in the round, I use one size hook on one end and another size hook on the other (so, a K on one end and L on the other). It doesn't cause any problems with my gauge. I just keep things looser on the end with the smaller hook.

I don't like the double ended hooks with the cable running between them. It limits the use for me. I don't like all of the extra cable when working something small. I don't want to be limited in width either.

I was actually looking at the Denise set so I'll have to give it another look. One of the comments for a similar set was about the attachments wearing down, so maybe the Denise set doesn't suffer from this problem. It's a tad more expensive, but if it's a good product then I don't have an issue paying for it.

I'll certainly give that set another, longer look. Thanks!

-Taco

I don't put excess wear on my Denise interchangeable set. So, my experience comes from someone that puts normal to light wear on them. I'm sure it's worth checking around with others that do use them excessively to get further information. Best of luck!

I use my Denise set, as well as my bamboo set purchased from eknittingneedles.com extensively and am very happy with both. Actually, I have two bamboo sets: one of afghan hooks and one of double-ended hooks. I am the luckiest girl alive. :)

I didn't know there was another set of interchangeable crochet needles on the market other than the Denise set (which I have).

What is the name of the other one?

I got the Denise set for Tunisian work, since you can...ah..."chain" together the cables to get quite a long hook! Good for rugs, throws, blankets, and the like.

If you want both ends of the double-ended hook to be alike, you might want to purchase the Denise set and the extra hook ends as well. The extras can be purchased individually, per the statement on the page I've linked to.

DCM

Addi and Boye both make interchangeable hooks that work with their cable sets, but you have to buy the hooks and cables separately.

I like the idea of buying the denise and then snagging a few extra hook heads for the sizes I use most. I'll probably do that once I figure out what sizes I like the most.

Archived