Scrapghan Destruction!

This is what can happen when you let pets have the run of the couch...

post-45325-135897663386_thumb.jpg

This was all the work of ONE of my rats, my alpha male H. (yeah, his name is a letter :P). My late-great Remington slept on this thing on a regular basis when he was alive and never chewed on it. This only took H about two nights. O_o

My mother made this scrapghan a good 20+ years ago. <sigh> Ah well...better get the scissors and salvage what yarn I can from this thing...at least I can repurpose it in another project or something...

so sorry, Ive never had a chewer so can't imagine losing an heirloom but my sympathies are with you, and don't punish the dog, he has no idea he destroyed something you cared about, some dogs are just chewers, some are fence jumpers, rabbit chasers, hole diggers, etc. again though, sorry that happened. SOmetimes like kids, dogs will take any attention they can, and sometimes, negative attention substitutes for positive?

This is what can happen when you let pets have the run of the couch...

[ATTACH]40012[/ATTACH]

This was all the work of ONE of my rats, my alpha male H. (yeah, his name is a letter :P). My late-great Remington slept on this thing on a regular basis when he was alive and never chewed on it. This only took H about two nights. O_o

My mother made this scrapghan a good 20+ years ago. <sigh> Ah well...better get the scissors and salvage what yarn I can from this thing...at least I can repurpose it in another project or something...

oh wow im ss, mabey u can remake something from the yarn. and just remember your mom's love is still in the yarn used,

I'm terrified that this will happen to my loved AFghan I have had my entire life. so I keep it folded under my pillow in my bed. and I dont allow anyone to touch it not even hubby.

my kids are pickers (well 2 of my girls) and the lovely Daisy square afghans I made them for christmas.. well ya they pulled some of the squars apart:eek so they been taken away and put away

so sorry, Ive never had a chewer so can't imagine losing an heirloom but my sympathies are with you, and don't punish the dog, he has no idea he destroyed something you cared about, some dogs are just chewers, some are fence jumpers, rabbit chasers, hole diggers, etc. again though, sorry that happened. SOmetimes like kids, dogs will take any attention they can, and sometimes, negative attention substitutes for positive?

Well except H is a rat and not a dog :lol

Sorry about the afghan.

H is still my favorite little boy...I just have to watch him a LITTLE more closely from now on :P

I started taking the remains apart and so far have come up with a decent sized ball of maroon. I'll probably be able to salvage most of the red and some of the pinks and the outer blue, but I'd have to tie about a million knots in order to make most of the inner colors usable.

Admittedly it is kinda fun...because I remember a lot of the other projects that my mom did with those colors. I have a granny square afghan made out of the lavender and mint colors, and my mother made a ton of Christmas stuff in plastic canvas using that red. Good childhood memories. :)

(And I haven't told my mother about the afghan disaster yet...she already dislikes my rodents. :P)

H is still my favorite little boy...I just have to watch him a LITTLE more closely from now on :P

I started taking the remains apart and so far have come up with a decent sized ball of maroon. I'll probably be able to salvage most of the red and some of the pinks and the outer blue, but I'd have to tie about a million knots in order to make most of the inner colors usable.

Admittedly it is kinda fun...because I remember a lot of the other projects that my mom did with those colors. I have a granny square afghan made out of the lavender and mint colors, and my mother made a ton of Christmas stuff in plastic canvas using that red. Good childhood memories. :)

(And I haven't told my mother about the afghan disaster yet...she already dislikes my rodents. :P)

lol, awww I love ratties!!! use to have 4. and I'd sew them afgans to use as hammocks alot!! and they would last months before they got the erge to Tear them up lol.

Sorry, I've just never been able to get into rats as pets....when I first saw the photo, I thought, "Where are the shreds of yarn?" thinking that cats had clawed it, or a dog had dragged it around as a toy, or something. (bad kitty or doggy, then...)

I don't know how rat digestion works, but if a cat or dog had ingested this much...ah...fiber, there would probably be intestinal blockage, leading to intussusception, where a section of the intestines folds over on itself (trying to pass the fiber chunk through) and dies, necessitating emergency abdominal surgery. (BTW, cat/dog owners: this is why you don't want puppies/cats/dogs eating socks, towels, etc.--it might kill them.)

But maybe not in rats? If you don't know, give your vet a call just to check. :)

DCM

Sorry, I've just never been able to get into rats as pets....when I first saw the photo, I thought, "Where are the shreds of yarn?" thinking that cats had clawed it, or a dog had dragged it around as a toy, or something. (bad kitty or doggy, then...)

I don't know how rat digestion works, but if a cat or dog had ingested this much...ah...fiber, there would probably be intestinal blockage, leading to intussusception, where a section of the intestines folds over on itself (trying to pass the fiber chunk through) and dies, necessitating emergency abdominal surgery. (BTW, cat/dog owners: this is why you don't want puppies/cats/dogs eating socks, towels, etc.--it might kill them.)

But maybe not in rats? If you don't know, give your vet a call just to check. :)

DCM

I should mention that most of the shreds wound up on my floor...I had just vacuumed them up before taking the photo. :P Rats, at least every one I've dealt with, will chew anything but don't really swallow. I've been keeping an eye on the H-man, but so far no ill effects.

But I do appreciate the concern. Had this been our puppy, I would be a LOT more worried.

I was just kidding about the dirty rat part. My daughter and niece have rats as pets.

I made a friend an afghan and her five year old cut through it just to see what would happen! I had to rip and rework. :lol

I should mention that most of the shreds wound up on my floor...I had just vacuumed them up before taking the photo. :P Rats, at least every one I've dealt with, will chew anything but don't really swallow.

Good to hear! :)

DCM

:eek Oh dear. What ratty behavior! ;)

(I really am sorry about your afghan but the situation is one to just bring forth puns in my crazy brain. Glad the little fella isn't sick.)

Archived