Caroline Ingalls' shawl???

lovingmommy

Question

Thank you for posting these links.:) The first one has some excellent tutorials, I saw them before.

Half Granny Square instructions

Pumamouse Crochet Sleuthing Shawl

Groovy Crochet Tassled Wrap Around Shawl

Groovy Crochet Filigree Shawl

Craft Yarn Council's Triangle Fashions (headscarf)

lol. That is so timely. Cool! I don't have TV Land, but let me know if you spot any crochet stuff.

Ahhhhhhhh :scared

Guess what I just found??? A LHotP marathon on TV Land.

It's on until 3 am eastern, and may be more tomorrow. It's actually a 3 day Michael Landon marathon. Right now it looks like the very earliest episodes.

So keep your eyes peeled for the red shawl!!!

I watched the first 2 dvds from the Season 5 set, only one quick glimpse in the episode Rachel mentioned.

Holly

I scanned through most of the episodes in the first season. It seems like Caroline wears the red shawl in episodes where she's a central character or has an important scene of dialogue (so far, with children). The funny thing about Caroline's red shawl is that when it first appears in an episode called "School Mom", the shawl is definitely KNIT! But then in an episode many weeks later called "Child of Pain", her red shawl appears again but this time it's CROCHET! I wonder why they switched? Maybe they misplaced her red shawl and decided to make it in crochet this time. Or maybe Caroline had a whole closet of red shawls. The knit shawl looks like garter stitch in the typical v-shape, with longish fringe. But the crochet shawl is definitely a half granny with no fringe. If I get more time, I'll scan more episodes and see if the shawl changes more.

I tried to get a screen shot but I am having some technical difficulties. I'll try again later, perhaps using a different program.

The funny thing about Caroline's red shawl is that when it first appears in an episode called "School Mom", the shawl is definitely KNIT! But then in an episode many weeks later called "Child of Pain", her red shawl appears again but this time it's CROCHET! I wonder why they switched? Maybe they misplaced her red shawl and decided to make it in crochet this time.

lololol. the funny thing is, that it probably doesn't mattern how the shawl is made. i guess i like it because she wore it well. i loved her character and all she represents for us moms. i loved the shawl and have been looking for a pattern. i guess now that it doesn't mattern what the pattern is. it's the illusion i'm after. i want a warm shawl my little kids will be able to associate with me when they gorw older and remember all the good times we had together. lolololol. man, do i seem to be needing some sleep, lolol. i'm thinking too hard!!! lolololol.

You people are a really bad influence :goodorbad

I couldn't find a screen shot anywhere on the internet. I asked my dear friend Melissa who is my source for all things LHotP and she couldn't help me. The show isn't aired on any station my darn cable company carries. Target & Costco didn't have the DVDs (though I know I"ve seen them there recently...) so I finally boogied over to Borders because their online system said they had Season 2 in stock. They didn't. Well, they did, but it wasn't anywhere to be found. I ended up getting Season 5, the earliest one they did have, because heaven forbid I should WAIT a few days:faintto order it. I really hope the wardrobe people took good care of that shawl and it made it through season 5!!!! :tryme

And yes, this is all tounge in cheek. I'll really enjoy having the DVD's even if I can't find the shawl on it :)

Holly

I really hope the wardrobe people took good care of that shawl and it made it through season 5!!!! :tryme

Holly

What a coincidence! I just...like just got done five minutes ago...watched the two-parter "As Long as We're Together"...season 5, I do believe...and guess what was in it? Caroline's red shawl! To me it looks like a huge basic granny square...except in a v-shape instead of square.

What a coincidence! I just...like just got done five minutes ago...watched the two-parter "As Long as We're Together"...season 5, I do believe...and guess what was in it? Caroline's red shawl! To me it looks like a huge basic granny square...except in a v-shape instead of square.

Wow! The red shawl lives on! I'm looking forward to getting more of the seasons on DVD. I got the first 2 or 3 seasons from amazon. Most bookstores will special order (without any obligation to actually buy it) so maybe I'll order more seasons at my local borders.

You people are a really bad influence :goodorbad

I couldn't find a screen shot anywhere on the internet. I asked my dear friend Melissa who is my source for all things LHotP and she couldn't help me. The show isn't aired on any station my darn cable company carries. Target & Costco didn't have the DVDs (though I know I"ve seen them there recently...) so I finally boogied over to Borders because their online system said they had Season 2 in stock. They didn't. Well, they did, but it wasn't anywhere to be found. I ended up getting Season 5, the earliest one they did have, because heaven forbid I should WAIT a few days:faintto order it. I really hope the wardrobe people took good care of that shawl and it made it through season 5!!!! :tryme

And yes, this is all tounge in cheek. I'll really enjoy having the DVD's even if I can't find the shawl on it :)

Holly

Glad that we could inspire you to get this classic t.v. show. You can't go wrong. Every episode is just as good as I remember from when I was a kid. There's a ton of crochet all over the episodes. So let us know what you spot!

I love 'The Little House on the Prairie' books!! I haven't really watched the show, because it strayed so far from the books. I can't wait until my girls are old enough to enjoy reading these wonderful books, haven't been able to find a good set anywhere though...any suggestions? I may try Amazon if I can't locate them anywhere.

That said, now I will have to be more mindful if I see it on tv, lol!

On a different note, does anyone here have the Lion Brand book of classic crochet (and knit) patterns? It's from 1916, and they only sell it on their website. I was wondering if it was worth it, maybe I will check to see if they have it at the library?

Archived