TIps for lace weight

Geo13

Hello, I am a novice crocheter and tried to start my first project with lace weight yarn. I am not having an easy time not to mention I am not enjoying it so much. Any tips for working with this stuff?

If this is your very first crochet project, save the lace-weight yarn for later. You'll find it much easier to follow pattern instructions, see the work, maintain good (but not too tight) tension on the working yarn and the project while still coordinating the hook *and* remembering how to make the stitch if you work with medium- or light-colored, non-variegated, worsted-weight yarn. Synthetic vs. natural fiber not important; worsted weight is the important aspect here.

A "G," "7," or "H" sized hook is also recommended for your very first crochet project.

What instructions/pattern are you working from?

DCM

I'm sure you're not enjoying it. My mom started me on worsted weight yarn and a J hook. You might want to consider using 3 or 4 strands of your yarn at once which will make it substantially thicker, and use a larger hook.

I find that working with lace weight your project doesn't look like much while you are making it. Lace projects really shine after blocking....it opens the stitches and shows the beautiful pattern better......keep trying...the worst that could happen is you have to frog it!

I do like working in lace weight. I agree I would make sure know your pattern and stitches before you start. It is amazing how you keep working on a lace weight project and it suddenly starts looking like something.

I applaud you for diving in to lace weight! I second the blocking. It may look rumpled and odd until you block. Also, what is it that you are not enjoying? Identifying the issue is important-- is it the pattern or the yarn?

Oh, and if you are getting frustrated, it's okay to set the project aside and do something simple and mindless for a bit.:hug

Thanks all for your input!

This is not my first crochet project, I most recently finished a dress for my DD (geo13 on ravely for pics), just my first lace weight project.

I am specifically having trouble with the very first row. I have chained on the appropriate number but just cannot "see" where to put the hook in at. Also it is a new stitch for me. I think I will swatch the new stitch with a fingerling weight yarn and then just play with the lace weight before trying to start the actual project... (things I have done for all other projects thus far, duh!).

Thanks again, I will keep plugging away!

Nicole

I find that crocheting the first row of a lace weight project is much easier if you use the foundation single crochet instead of just doing a chain.

Archived