I hate knots!!!!

CroJulee

I was crocheting along on a dishcloth for my partner in the KISS swap when all of the sudden I feel a bump. I look and realize that, wow, there's a knot in my yarn. I'm not even a full 2 rows in (labor intensive) and I've already got 2 extra ends to weave in. This has happened so many times with the sugar and cream yarn. Oh my goodness. What ever happened to quality yarn? Most of the yarn they sell these days feels more like seconds.

I hate to say it but it is not just the newer yarns. Years ago, before I retired (and I retired in March 1999), I was given tons of yarn that no one wanted to store so I took it and stored it (was for our volunteer group who never took any of it either). Anyway, I am still using some of it and I have found there are knots in those older skeins too. I don't think it may be as much as the yarns today but it still happened. I would be happily crocheting and boom, hello knot!!!

Quite annoying.

LI Roe

It is annoying!! I'm one of those people who HATES weaving in ends so having 2 extra ends to weave in just bugs me. It might help that I'm really particular about the way I weave in ends. I do a very good job of it so each end just adds to the time until the project is done. Oy!!! Luckily there are very few knots in the cones of cotton yarn I've bought.

Julee

I've had plenty of knots in acrylic yarn, but never in cotton until a few days ago.

This cotton strand had definitely been cut and tied, and it was done crummy besides, so I had to cut it out and retie it myself. It was rather annoying because hiding the knots and weaving in the ends in cotton is harder than in acrylic.

I never know when I have to add in another color. I just take a tapestry needle to it. I've found more knots in balls of cotton then acrylic. I'm going to write a letter of complaint to sugar 'n cream tomorrow before work. I'm getting really sick of knots.

I am with you on hating knots! I have been crocheting for close to 20 years and have never seen so many knots in yarn as I do now! And I am amazed at when they appear! I recently bought a bunch of yarn from herreschners and it was all their brand. Every skein I have used has had knots in it where they literally tied ends together to make the skein. They pull apart easily and are super frayed around the ends. This has been in everything from holiday yarn to their version of the pompadoodle. It seems the smaller skeins have more in them... like they used the end pieces and knotted them together to make up the smaller skein! Makes me sick!

I despise sewing in ends with a passion and when they cause me to have extras to sew in it makes my stomach turn. I can understand the occassional knot but every skein? Really? Between the knots and the thickened parts of the yarn where it is like twice as thick as the rest I am so fed up with the yarn of today!

I don't like knots either! Lately I have been finding more knots and have had a skein with the thick areas. The thick stuff looked really ugly in my project, although it was a charity item, so I left it. You would think we were buying seconds.....

Archived