can you help with sizing this?

Janabear

Question

8 answers to this question

This is a super basic hat pattern... You use whatever yarn you want with whatever hook size the yarn calls for -

Follow the increases as directed until your circle is as big as the top of your kiddo's head. Then work in even rounds until it's slightly shorter than you want. Then finish up as they say, working in the front loop only and increasing regularly to get the flare, finishing with the row of sl st. will tighten it up a bit and get it to curl up.

I made this hat monster sized and fulled it. :hook

This is a super basic hat pattern... You use whatever yarn you want with whatever hook size the yarn calls for -

Follow the increases as directed until your circle is as big as the top of your kiddo's head. Then work in even rounds until it's slightly shorter than you want. Then finish up as they say, working in the front loop only and increasing regularly to get the flare, finishing with the row of sl st. will tighten it up a bit and get it to curl up.

I made this hat monster sized and fulled it. :hook

I agree with Natalie, thanks for the link to the pattern, I love it :manyheart Natalie I would love to see your felted hat, I bet it's a beauty :hook

Let me see if I can ruffle up a pic...

th_fa279224.jpg

th_ba58aad0.jpg

These are pretty poor quality, cuz they're with my old cam. I used the pattern as written with two strands of Fishermans Wool and an 'N' hook, I think. I did omit the sl st round cuz I didn't want the brim to flip up.

hi! i would like to make this for my daugther. she is only 15 months though. how do i change the pattern to fit? and what size hook?? thanks so much!

http://www.lionbrand.com/patterns/chs-cloche.html

The pattern calls for a large hook.. I would change the hook size to at least an H..

I wouldn't change the hook size if you're going to use Homespun, as suggested... I would use the size they call for and do less increase rounds. :hook

so i would still use the hook called for in the pattern if i use homespun, but make the initial circle the size of her head on top? do i have that right?? thanks for the great advice!!!

You should, normally use the hook size recommended for the yar, not the pattern unless you are using the recommended yarn too.

If you use a finer yarn and the appropriate hook, it will come out much smaller, then if that is not enough to reduce the size, reduce by one, the number of stitches worked on the first round and that will make a big difference too.

Then increase until you think it is big enough for your daughters head, allowing a little extra, (it sometimes takes a few rows to look like it is going straight so donet panic.) then work straight to the length you need. I made a similar hat, without a pattern, and when I got to the brim, I added an eyelash type yarn and just kept crocheting in SCs and it formed a perfect brim which I made big enough to roll under and stitch back to where I started with the extra yarn. Because I was not increasing, it just tucked under nicely and gave a lot of firmness to the hat.

If you give it a try, the worst that will happen is that you will have to start again, the best that can happen is that it will work and your daughter will have a beautiful hat.

When you get it right, make a note of what you did, for future reference.

If you look carefully at patterns, childrens patterns often have the same number of stitches as an adult pattern but they recommend a finer yarn.

There is usually as many stitches on the back of a baby cardigan in 3ply as there is in a large mans Chunky weight yarn.

:hook:cheer:hook:cheer:hook:cheer :hook:cheer:hook:cheer :hook:cheer:hook:cheer :hook:cheer :hook

Have fun.

Colleen

thanks so much for all your help. i hope this will work. i think i will make it from a different yarn first in a worsted weight and then find a nicer yarn i like. *crossing fingers*

Archived