Pics of 2 ghans in Post #132, finally! :)

loopy1

Marissa, unfortunately, neither the Bernat or the RHSS yarns will work for the ghans. I'm always saying I'm sorry and I do apologize for not getting back to you sooner. Thank you so much for your thoughts. I look forward to seeing the square in the VC Linen. :manyheart

No problem :hug I should be able to get to the post office tuesday morning with the other square :xfin

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 144
  • Created
  • Last Reply
No problem :hug I should be able to get to the post office tuesday morning with the other square :xfin

Here is a pic of the lovely square I received from Marisa. Thank you, Marisa!

post-7514-13589767122_thumb.jpg

I have enough squares for Sean's afghan and here are pics of 2 layouts. Please give me your feedback.

Don't know if I particularly like the 1st layout. But in the 2nd pic, I thought the 4 black squares would be good on the corners. Also, in the 2nd pic, top row, the 2nd square from the left (it's gray heather), is the same pattern as the 3rd square from the left in the bottom row. I'm thinking black is the best color to join and edge. What do you think? What about the light gray or the gray heather.

I'm still struggling over layouts for my 2 great nieces but I will get there. I think I have enough squares.

BTW, I'm terribly sorry but I can't use all the squares I received for Sean's afghan. If you don't see your square, please send me a pm. I can return it to you for your use or send it to someone else who can use it for a comfortghan.

Thank you everyone for helping me with this. I will be sure to post pics of the girls' layouts when I can figure them out.

:ghug

post-7514-135897671224_thumb.jpg

post-7514-135897671227_thumb.jpg

...unfortunately, neither the Bernat or the RHSS yarns will work for the ghans.

I just read this thread for the first time. My condolences on the tragic (and sudden) loss of your niece; the children are very young and at a vulnerable age for such a loss.

But I have a question: When you first asked for the squares, you said "RHSS or Vanna's Choice." But a few weeks ago you said RHSS will not work.

==> What yarn(s) should squares be made from? <==

DCM

DCM, thank you so much for your condolences. It has been difficult, especially for my brother-in-law. Cheryl was married twice but never changed her maiden name in honor of her dad. Also, Cheryl and my daughter share the same birthday (May 25). That day brought mixed emotions for us...my daughter is 4 years younger. Funny thing--when my sister was pregnant with Cheryl her due date was May 23. My due date was also May 23.

About the yarn, are you referring to my post #75 which was a response to Marisa's post #68? She had a particular RHSS variegated that would not work.

I do have enough squares for my great nephew's ghan but I'm not sure that all the squares I have for the girls are gonna work. So the 2nd paragraph and list of colors in my 1st post have the info. Here it is:

I'm asking for 12" squares, medium worsted weight 100% acrylic such as Red Heart Super Saver, to make a 48" x 60" comfortghan for Caroline, her 10yo daughter (4x5 12") squares.

Colors:

light shades of pink

light shades of purple

off-white

cream

any solid or combo of colors.

If you want to wait until I can work on the girls' layouts, I will let you know what may be needed.

Thank you very much!

I have enough squares for Sean's afghan and here are pics of 2 layouts. Please give me your feedback.

Don't know if I particularly like the 1st layout. But in the 2nd pic, I thought the 4 black squares would be good on the corners. Also, in the 2nd pic, top row, the 2nd square from the left (it's gray heather), is the same pattern as the 3rd square from the left in the bottom row. I'm thinking black is the best color to join and edge. What do you think? What about the light gray or the gray heather.

I'm still struggling over layouts for my 2 great nieces but I will get there. I think I have enough squares.

BTW, I'm terribly sorry but I can't use all the squares I received for Sean's afghan. If you don't see your square, please send me a pm. I can return it to you for your use or send it to someone else who can use it for a comfortghan.

Thank you everyone for helping me with this. I will be sure to post pics of the girls' layouts when I can figure them out.

:ghug

:cheer I like the 2nd layout myself... :yes

Looks great by the way! Isn't it amazing how squares from all over come together and just look awesome all together??? :hug

I already have Soft White in RHSS; that's why I was asking...will a square or two in Soft White be helpful?

DCM

DCM, I'll have to let you know about the RHSS soft white once I can get a handle on the layout. It's very confusing for me with all the different colors I have (please note in my siggy that I'm partially color blind and hubby hasn't been much help with it :lol). Anyway, when I start to lay the squares out, I get frustrated and just pick them all back up. I think I have some soft white so that should help me in deciding.

Thank you!

:cheer I like the 2nd layout myself... :yes

Looks great by the way! Isn't it amazing how squares from all over come together and just look awesome all together??? :hug

Yeah, it is amazing how the squares do come together. Now if I can just get the girls' squares to do that, I'll be very happy :). And thanks for your vote for the 2nd layout. It's the one I like best, too. :hug

• 1 month later...
I already have Soft White in RHSS; that's why I was asking...will a square or two in Soft White be helpful?

DCM

DCM, I'll have to let you know about the RHSS soft white once I can get a handle on the layout. It's very confusing for me with all the different colors I have (please note in my siggy that I'm partially color blind and hubby hasn't been much help with it :lol). Anyway, when I start to lay the squares out, I get frustrated and just pick them all back up. I think I have some soft white so that should help me in deciding.

Thank you!

So, so sorry for not being here the past month! DCM, I never could find my soft white but I don't think it will work unless it's combined with a light pink or light purple, I believe that would work great. If you don't have the light pink or light purple, please don't worry about it. I appreciate your offer to make a square.

I decided to join Sean's squares with RHSS Zebra because the black is just too hard for me to work with. I think it will look good joined with the Zebra. I've been having a tough time getting the squares close to the same size and making sure each square has the same number of stitches on each side. WHEW! I have never done this before and I just keep dragging my feet. But, gotta focus on these ghans and get them done. You've all been so generous and wonderful to help me out. Thank you! :manyheart

• 4 weeks later...

Here are layouts of all the squares I've received for my great nieces. As you can see, the 1st layout has 20 squares (the pic is upside down and it didn't work when I flipped it). I just kinda threw them out there. I'm thinking of making a couple of dark purple squares so both ghans will have them at the 4 corners...unless some one or two crocheters want to make those 2 squares. :hook There is one square I can't find but I will find it!!! It matches the square on the inside of the 2nd pic with the colors reversed.

Could use some advice on what color to use for joining.

Thanks! :manyheart

post-7514-135897692286_thumb.jpg

post-7514-135897692291_thumb.jpg

Thanks, Becky. That helps me a lot and sounds like I have quite a few options which I like.

What about the arrangement of the squares on the complete one. I think I need to rearrange and maybe swap out some from the other layout. I don't know. Just probably need to work on the arrangement more.

Thanks again for the help!

Well, white will work, or cream, or baby pink, or...I don't know if variegated pink and white would work with that or not. I don't think I'd do lavender, but it might work at that.

Which children do you still need squares for? :think

I would be glad to do some, if I know what you still need.

I await your answer, and then I will get busy and get some on their way.

:manyheart:manyheart:manyheart

Thank you so much, Mary! If you'll look at this post of the squares I have for my 2 great nieces' afghans, you should get a good idea of what I'm missing. I just received the pink square pictured in post #90, which is right before your post. So the answer is I still need squares for the two girls.

Also, would appreciate any input on the layouts. I am going to rearrange them. For one thing it was pointed out to me that in the 1st pic, I have a couple of light colored squares together. Numbering the squares 1-20 from top left to bottom right, the two squares are #11 and #15. I just threw them out there because I was having a difficult time with the arrangement and was looking for feedback.

Thanks again! :hug

Which children do you still need squares for? :think

I would be glad to do some, if I know what you still need.

I await your answer, and then I will get busy and get some on their way.

:manyheart:manyheart:manyheart

Thank you so much, Mary! If you'll look at this post of the squares I have for my 2 great nieces' afghans, you should get a good idea of what I'm missing. I just received the pink square pictured in post #90, which is right before your post. So the answer is I still need squares for the two girls.

Also, would appreciate any input on the layouts. I am going to rearrange them. For one thing it was pointed out to me that in the 1st pic, I have a couple of light colored squares together. Numbering the squares 1-20 from top left to bottom right, the two squares are #11 and #15. I just threw them out there because I was having a difficult time with the arrangement and was looking for feedback.

Thanks again! :hug

I will get started on them today, and probably won't get them in the mail until next week.

I like the 2nd layout. with black on the corners, except for the two light ones together. It looks really nice.

Mary, WOW! Thank you for all your help. When I receive your squares, then I'm sure both layouts will look much better after I rework them. And those squares on the corners in the 2nd layout are dark purple, not black...tough to get colors right with all the different colored squares, the lighting plus my not so great camera. And whenever you get them in the mail is fine. I'm nowhere near getting these ghans together...3 of them!!! Thought I was making good progress on my great nephew's ghan but having difficulty with getting some of the squares to the right size and to lay flat.

I will get started on them today, and probably won't get them in the mail until next week.

I like the 2nd layout. with black on the corners, except for the two light ones together. It looks really nice.

:ty:ty:ty

I will also make those 2 dark purple squares for you, as well as 2 lavender, 2 light pink,

:hug

I made a pink and white square if you want it. Could possible get it in the mail tomorrow. Let me know if you want it and where to send it.

Yes, Nira, I love the square! Sending you a pm.

Archived