The Shawl Without a Home - Can I Soften Wool?

I chose a beautiful variegated yarn in autumn colors to make a shawl. I used Paton's wool and I like the way it turned out. I was hoping to present it as a Christmas gift to one of my sisters, but as I was working on the last few rows, I noticed that where the shawl lay against my skin for a while, I ended up with hives. Not an allergic reaction, I think, just contact with the yarn for a long period of time. I sent out an e-mail to my sisters to ask if anyone else had a reaction from wool and all of them said it makes them itchy! So now I have to either find a way to soften the yarn so that it can be used or hang it on the back of my chair at work as "decor".

Anyone have suggestions for me?

post-14127-13589760067_thumb.jpg

Washing may soften it up a little bit, as well as removing any leftover chemicals from dyeing or processing that could be causing sensitivity. Of course, check the label, but you may need to hand-wash and dry.

I have the same problem with wool against my skin. When I crochet stuff for felting, my hands look like they've been sandpapered, and it doesn't matter how "soft" the wool is supposed to be.

If you give it a good soak in heavy-duty hair conditioner, that might soften it up. The hives ARE an allergy, most likely. We use Febreze Allergen Reducer on stuff like that and don't notice anything perfumey after, but some people can't stand the smell. You might have better luck spraying it down with Allerpet. Hair spray will keep some shaggy yarn from shedding and it might keep your wool from dropping those little teeny abrasive fibers.

It may be less itchy if you gently hand wash it in cold water, then soak a few minutes in cold water with the addition of some hair conditioner. I usually mix the conditioner in some warm water first, then add it to the cold water rinse. The conditioner acts the same way it does on human hair; it makes the cuticle of the wool lie down so the yarn is smoother and less itchy to the skin.

This a very interesting subject and one I hadn't really thought about much....until now. I don't crochet with wool all that frequently and when I do it is generally using a composite type yarn like Woolese. Do the composites have as much effect even though the wool content is 20% or less?

Since I don't seem to have any adverse reactions to wool I haven't really considered how it will affect a recipient of a project. But I sure will keep it in mind in the future. Seems like a good reason to use more of the acrylic and plant based fiber yarns.

I have learned (through experience) that I need to wash all finished projects to both remove the chemicals from color dyes and sizing additives as well as for how the project will look and feel after laundering.

Does alpaca or other animal based fibers have the same effect on sensitive individuals?

Thanks for the posts.

Like anything else, someone can be allergic to one or all or none of the animal based fibers. I am allergic to one of the thick, cheap acrylic rug yarns, it gave me hives every time I used it; but it could well have been the materials used in they dye or finishing processes.

Archived