Concerns about yarn color "bleeding".

Duchessofdp

Question

Hi all,

I am wanting to make some red and white Christmas items, along with some red, white and blue, patriotic items (I'm in the U.S.). I am wondering, however, if the red will bleed onto the white when I launder them? Is there something I should do before using the red yarn to ensure that it won't bleed onto the white?

TIA

Linda

11 answers to this question

I would think it would depend on what kind of yarn you plan on using. If you use acyrilic it shouldn't be a problem.

Yea, it's acrylic. I tried doing the vinegar/microwave trick and it's not bleeding at all. I'm going to let it dry now and then work it up, sandwiching the red between some white acrylic....just making up a small 3x3" patch. I'll wash that and see how it works out. Thx for the help.

I use red heart super saver in red and white for projects and never had it bleed when washing, same with aron simply soft. Mary

Thanks, Mary. This is so good to know. I'm sure this is just Super Saver yarn, though I don't know for sure. I got it through a second hand store. I love scouring these little shops looking for yarn and damaged crocheted items that I can pull apart and make into chemo caps and "for sale" items. I often find that people donate bags of unused yarn or perhaps a scarf, blanket, etc., that has a hole in the corner. By just pulling it apart (as long as the yarn is in good shape) I can reuse it and it costs me WAY less than buying yarn new....although I do that too. I'm a "Yarn Ho" for sure! LOL :c9

I use red heart super saver in red and white for projects and never had it bleed when washing, same with aron simply soft. Mary

Thanks, Mary. This is so good to know. I'm sure this is just Super Saver yarn, though I don't know for sure. I got it through a second hand store. I love scouring these little shops looking for yarn and damaged crocheted items that I can pull apart and make into chemo caps and "for sale" items. I often find that people donate bags of unused yarn or perhaps a scarf, blanket, etc., that has a hole in the corner. By just pulling it apart (as long as the yarn is in good shape) I can reuse it and it costs me WAY less than buying yarn new....although I do that too. I'm a "Yarn Ho" for sure! LOL :c9

I've seen the posts in this topic & in one other and am amazed that people haven't had the Red Heat red yarn bleed. This is the only color that I had bleeding with just this past March. I made a Christmas afghan for my daughter & washed it in cold water before sending it to her. There was a slight pink tinge to the white areas of the afghan. I was so bummed, but she said she didn't notice it! Am I being too critical? I'm nervous about using Red with white again, but I do have a different project going for 4th of July!

Red Heart does make cotton and wool blend yarn, and the natural fiber plies might possibly bleed.  However I'm certain that 100% acrylic can't bleed, it is not dyed 'after' so there's nothing to 'come off'.  The color in acrylic yarn is bound chemically to the the molten plastic goo that gets extruded into acrylic fibers.  Could you possibly have washed it with something else that bled on the blanket?

http://www.woolcrafting.com/acrylic.html

If you're concerned about this happening again, it's always a good idea to croche a small swatch and wash it as yu intend to wash the finished item. You can also put one of those "color catcher" she's in the wash to try and trap any dye that runs.

If you're concerned about this happening again, it's always a good idea to croche a small swatch and wash it as yu intend to wash the finished item. You can also put one of those "color catcher" she's in the wash to try and trap any dye that runs.

Thanks Amy! The swatch idea is a good one! Fortunately I did use the color catchers (at least 2!). I believe that's why I only had faint blush on the white

Red Heart does make cotton and wool blend yarn, and the natural fiber plies might possibly bleed.  However I'm certain that 100% acrylic can't bleed, it is not dyed 'after' so there's nothing to 'come off'.  The color in acrylic yarn is bound chemically to the the molten plastic goo that gets extruded into acrylic fibers.  Could you possibly have washed it with something else that bled on the blanket?

http://www.woolcrafting.com/acrylic.html

I used Red Heart Super Saver and it was the only thing in the machine. I also was surprised, but freak things do happen on occasion. The red in this line of yarn is the only one I've heard of bleeding...and that's why I put the color catchers in with the blanket. They were definitely red when I pulled them out!

Archived