New yarn stored in space bags- odor

codymikki

I have just been gifted 3 dozen skeins of new, labeled, yarn which has been stored in space bags. It has a chemical type odor and I'm thinking it is from the bags.

I'm hoping that if the odor doesn't disipate with airing out that it will when I crochet something then wash it. Have any of you had this experience?

I have the same problem with my yarn. I now keep it all in bins, and even though I clean the bins before putting any yarn in them, when I open one up, the plastic smell is obvious.

Of course you can air the yarn, but it takes a long time, usually weeks to totally get rid of the smell altogether.

I discovered a nice and inexpensive way to scent my yarn. When I choose the next yarn I'm going to use, if I am not pressed for time, I air it first. Then I put it in a plastic bag with scented candles from the dollar store.

The candles are only $1 each for the 3" squat, fat candles. I keep about a dozen on hand just for scenting yarn. I like to keep a mix of berry scents, like strawberry, pearberry, cranberry and black cherry. I also like to use vanilla, but separate from the mixed berries.

I do not remove the plastic from the candles because they can be oily and stain the yarn. I just make a slit in the plastic on the bottom of the candles, then put them in with the yarn.

For long term projects, like blankets, I put the finished squares and strips in bins, then lay a few candles in with them. Every now and again, when I am in counting the squares or strips, I move the candles around to new spots.

Everyone who smells my yarn scenting loves it.

I have experienced the same problem, especially when I store yarn in the newer plastic storage totes that I have bought, the older ones bought many years ago do not have that odor. I even tried to wash the bins with vinegar and water and put them out in the sun to dry but the odor does eventually return.

I use the fabric softener dryer sheets now. I put several in each bin between layers of yarn and it does help. When I finish my afghans and hats and scarves and put them in plastic bags, I add dryer sheets also.

Now I am reorganizing my fabrics and doing the same with the dryer sheets.

LI Roe

Edited to change to vinegar and water, not bleach.

I've aired out a couple of skeins (hung in a mesh bag outdoors in the shade) and they are fine now. I'll do that with the rest of them, gradually, then put them in a couple of my old totes which don't seem to have any odor :-)

I started to collect the plastic milk crates that milk comes in at the stores.. A local resturant I go to weekly with my friends for coffee just throws them away.. so I asked them to save them.> and i been stacking them in my closet.. and putting my yarn in them.. So I been organizeing it like that.. when i'm done ill get pics.. Looks like a lil yarn store in my closet.. I'm hopign to make it look like a yarn warehouse LOL!!!!

Archived