First-Time Felting Question

PAndrus

OK - I have to try this.

I tend to crochet on the loose side and always use a smaller hook than is recommended.

If I try to felt and all of the stitch definition doesn't go away, can I do it again? Would I have to put it back in the washer immediately for the felting to continue?

If the project doesn't shrink down to the size I wanted, can I continue felting to keep shrinking it? I was thinking that this would just make the fabric thicker.

Thanks!

Obviously I am no expert being a newb at this but I have read many people's answers to that particular question. They always say that it can be redone with another go in the washer. Some even suggest adding a kettle of boiling water to the washer if your water temp is not hot enough.

I hope you have good results! Good luck....it's fun!

Yes, you can continue felting until all the stitch definition is gone, or stop when part still shows, your choice. Just put the item back in (you may need to change part of the water and add hot again, or just add a bit of hot) and keep going. I've put some items through the felting cycle several times to get the look I wanted.

I just set my machine for the longest wash cycle....then check it every few minutes. If it needs to be felted longer, I just set the cycle back. I never let my felted items go through a whole wash cycle (wash, spin, rinse, spin) I just keep agitating until I get the results that I want, then I drain the water and let it spin for about 30 seconds. It takes most of the water out and cuts down on drying time. Some will say that this causes creases in your item, but I have never had that problem. I also don't use any soap when I felt.....My items always felt without it, so no rinsing is needed.

Heather, I think it depends on the pH of your water. At my house I use soap, but at my mom's I used baking soda. The idea is changing the pH of the wool opens the cuticle of the wool up to felt more easily.

Must be I have the right ph level in my water, I have never added soap or baking soda and everything felts fine without it.....

Our water is hard hard HARD. Soap doesn't 'lather'. I have to use extra detergent in the laundry to even see a bubble, and the water forms a mineral crust in shower heads that has to be soaked out with vinegar on a regular basis or there is no water flow.

Archived