Thread Stiffener

kathypinaz

Question

I have made 12 bookmarks for my moms Bunko group and would like to stiffen parts of them. I would like something that is easy (ie. buy in a store) and that doesn't dull the thread. I need to do this before Saturday!! :D

I found some stuff I used on a couple of them but it dulls the sheen of the thread. Is this normal with most stiffeners/starches??

Any suggestions? What if I just stiffen one side of the bookmark - would that be weird?

HELP!!! :think

10 answers to this question

The one I used for snowflakes last year didn't dull the sheen, although I haven't tried on my glittery thread yet. Got mine @ Hobby Lobby, the brand looks to be API it's just a fabric stiffener and I water it down in a 3 to 1 solution.

I don't think it would be weird to only do the back, but would it keep it's integrity over time if you did it that way? *lol Now you've got me curious too :P

The one I used for snowflakes last year didn't dull the sheen, although I haven't tried on my glittery thread yet. Got mine @ Hobby Lobby, the brand looks to be API it's just a fabric stiffener and I water it down in a 3 to 1 solution.

I don't think it would be weird to only do the back, but would it keep it's integrity over time if you did it that way? *lol Now you've got me curious too :P

Thank you for your reply - that is the exact same one I am using!! How funny. :lol

I am not diluting it though - using it full strength. Maybe that is why it is dulling the thread??? Did you put it in another bottle after you mixed it with water or how did you do that?

Still not sure what I should do with it, apply it to one side or both. It's easy to use though.

I mix it in an old glass custard dish. I try to guesstimate how much I will need. Then I paint it on with a kids paint brush, mostly in case the hairs come out of the brush they will be big and black and easy to recognize and remove. I also had a small sponge I wet and then squeezed out real good and used it to break up nay glops or spots that looked to thick.

I did have an ornament I made last year that had an obvious front and back. I didn't come out stiff enough so I applied a second coating of the glue solution only on the back and changed the solution to a 2 to 1 mixture (just went through my notes from last year)

--edit-- I was told to make sure to discard any unused diluted glue. I've never tried to reuse it so I wouldn't advise diluting more than you think you'll need.

I am so thankful you posted the link - I had wracked my brain cells to remember what I actually used to stiffen my snowflakes with and I had bought this big bottle of stuff at JoAnn's last year that worked terribly - I hated it - and wanted the spray bottle kind and could not find it but is definitely WAS the Beacon product - and when you wrote the name I was like THAT's IT! Stiffen Stuff! It is great!

Thanks again!

Thanks everyone for such great suggestions. I almost bought the "Stiffen Stuff" but decided on the "Fabric Stiffener".

I will try that and the high gloss spray starch from the laundry isle next to see which I like best.

Thanks again!

Archived