Baby yarn in bright colors?

CityGirl

I've been wanting to start making stuff for my niece/nephew who is due in February, finally got to talk to my preggers SIL about it, and confirmed that she's much more a 'bright colors' kind of person and would prefer that kind of thing to pastels.

The only trouble is, I've been having a heck of a time finding SOFT acrylic baby yarn (in Worsted, Sport and Baby weights) in bright rainbow colors. I'm also looking for a rainbow variegated, which I've seen from Patons (Canadiana), but not in a softer yarn more suitable for a baby's skin.

Does anyone have any recommendations? Thanks in advance! :)

My sis just had a baby, and I'm doing a lot of stuff in Caron Simply Soft Brites; the colors are super bright and the yarn is extremely soft. Plus, it's acrylic, so it's machine washable. It's labeled worsted weight, but it seems a bit thinner than that to me. Here are some pics of FO's using this yarn (although I've added a strand of Caron Simply Soft Bone to these, to calm the color a bit).

th_rippledetail.jpg

th_KatesRipple.jpg

th_babyripple.jpg

Also, I've seen a lot of Starghans posted in the baby section of Show-and-Tell in rainbow SS Brites colors that are lovely; I want to make one of those, too :lol

I have also used caron simply soft for baby clothes and blankets for Anna Lee ( due any day know)

Also, if you want fingering weight I ordered some of this and I just love it for baby clothes

http://store.knitting-warehouse.com/yarn-bernat-baby-yarn.html

and here are some pretty verigated colors

http://store.knitting-warehouse.com/yarn-coats-red-heart-baby-sport-yarn.html

It is difficult to find bright colors in baby yarn. I usually just use regular worsted weight since I prefer the bright colors when I am making baby afghan. I think those colors are more stimulating for a baby (at least that is what a former supervisor told me when I crocheted a very bright yellow blanket, baby would wake up and would play with the blanket because of the color). Anyway, what about sport yarn, they come in bright colors too.

LI Roe

I also agree that Caron Simply Soft Brites would be perfect! It's definitely thinner than Red Heart...I'd consider it somewhere between Worsted and Baby/Sport. :)

I don't know how gauge would be affected by the weight when making clothes, but for afghans it should be just fine!

Because a lot of our yarn is donated, our charity sewing group often uses whatever soft yarns we have to make hats and add bright pom poms or love knot bows to the top of the hat. We make a lot of white hats in soft yarn and add "seasonal" or holiday colors for trim. :hook

I agree with the Caron Simply Soft Brites but you could also use Lion Brand's Microspun as it is super soft & comes in really bright colors! It almost has a silky feel to it. But it is a bit harder to work with as the strands tend to separate from the skein as you work with it. But it's soooooo soft and not a bulky yarn.

I bought some Lion Brand Microspun for a winter suit for my baby and I got a medium purple, bright yellow, lime green and white. The colors are fabulous and it is super soft. The weight on the package lists it as a 2. (if you not familiar with that, 3 is sport and 4 is worsted weight)

Archived