Wire crochet destroying fingers?

Roxiegirl

I've been doing some research on wore crochet...I'm really interested in it. It's so pretty but something I see a lot is "the wore destroys your fingers" what does that mean? What does it do to them?

I do have carpal tunnel and my hands tire, hurt, and gk numb easily. Does this mean it's somehing I shouldn't do?

Has anyone found anything to stop the pain or destruction of hands/fingers?

This is crocheting using wire instead of yarn.

It is difficult to get controlled even sts, and it puts your hands through a workout, so if you have arthritis, carpal tunnel or other joint problems, you will end up in a lot of pain. Wire crochet requires a lot more hand power than yarn crochet, so just this can make your hands or wrists really hurt.

It also depends on the gauge of the wire. The higher the number, the smaller the wire, and that makes it easier to do what you want it to do. However, if you have problems with yarn....I would suggest you try the invisible wire, which is just fishing line to make the item. That way you make what you want, but it won't hurt you!

I've been doing some research on wore crochet...I'm really interested in it. It's so pretty but something I see a lot is "the wore destroys your fingers" what does that mean? What does it do to them?

I do have carpal tunnel and my hands tire, hurt, and gk numb easily. Does this mean it's somehing I shouldn't do?

Has anyone found anything to stop the pain or destruction of hands/fingers?

This is probably something you should NOT do.

anything to stop pain and destruction? rest and/or surgery

It's the pull you have to give the wire to set the stitch. When we crochet with yarn, it's barely perceptible, that bare bit of tension; with wire, you have to pull to form the stitch the way you want. The lighter and softer the wire, the easier it is. I made my niece a beaded wire clutch in I think 28 gauge that came out pretty nice, but man, my hands were stiff for a while.

Yeah, I'm pretty sure wire crochet isn't for me. I was just curious about what it means when everyone says it destroys your fingers.

I do have braces I wear at night! They help a lot but I still have some problems. The next step is cortisone shots

• 1 year later...

I've always wanted to try it too but knew it would hurt and thats why I haven't. I have been making jewelry using crochet tread and that is painful enough. Gonna have to start wearing my braces to bed again too. I won't stop crocheting though!

• 2 weeks later...

Hi there,

I have carpal tunnel syndrome because of a thyroid problem and pregnancy. Wrist braces at bedtime really help. On the crochet front, take time to find a position for your work which minimises the twisting motion in the wrist. You may find that holding the work at a different angle from your dominant hand, so the hook goes straight into it on the forward motion, helps. I also find the crochet hook pencil grip works better for carpal tunnel. I taught myself to crochet and didn't do the pencil grip so it took a little bit of effort to retrain myself but careful placing of the wool and work helps. Pacing yourself with the crochet works too, there's no point in going on to the point you aggravate the carpal tunnel problems as you can get permanent nerve damage, muscle wastage in your thumb and numbness in your fingertips plus loss of grip strength if you don't manage it carefully. Your hands are precious.

• 2 weeks later...
icon_432_100x125.jpgcytotec is a medication with anti acidic activity used to prevent formation of stomach ulcers in patients who take NSAIDs such as aspirin or ibuprofen. Its main component is Misoprostol, it is a synthetic prostaglandin, the substance which is produced either in a stomach. Their role consists in protecting inner lining of the stomach from destructive action of NSAIDs which are supposed to destruct natural prostaglandins in the stomach.

Archived