Hook issues.

Well, leave it to me :eek. I find a pattern I really, really like. As I'm skimming though list of materials needed I discover I need a 4.50 mm U.S. size 7 hook. Basicly it looks as it's a size between a G & an H hook. I am "Team Suzan". I :manyheart Suzan Bates hooks. Don't really care for Boye hooks :no . But it looks as if Suzan Bates does not carry the size hook I need for this project, cute little granny square bags I found at the sugar & cream website. Not sure if I want to drive out to either Joanne fabrics or Wal-mart, who by the way has slimmed down the yarn section:(, and buy the Boye hook in the hook size I need or just use what I have and have the size of the bag be either a little bigger or a little smaller.

:think decisions decisions decisions.

I'm a Bates gal, too. Since I discovered their Bamboo-handled hooks, I won't use anything else. I LOVE them. :c9

I'd use the G or H. Can't see that it would make that much difference in a bag. I've used both G and H hooks with Sugar and Cream, and they both work well.

Crochet a small swatch with both size hooks and see which one you like better.

Have fun! :hook

The more it think about it, the more I am inclined to use my Bates H hook. I have a tendancy to crochet tightly, and since it's a bag, it won't hurt if it's a smidge too big. :)

Since the pattern is just granny square bags, the hook size shouldn't matter too much if you use the standard G or H hook. You may just have a bag that's slightly smaller or larger.

But if you do want to get a true 4.5mm size 7 hook, Tulip makes that size in their Etimo line. They'll be available through Caron as of September 1, the last I heard. I know they'll be available through the Caron website, I'm not sure about what stores might be carrying them, too.

I have a size H Etimo hook (received at the Chain Link conference), and it's fabulous! I'll be ordering more as I can afford them, since they retail for about $10 each or around $80 for a kit with a bunch of hooks.

I'm not sure why you said Susan Bates doesn't have the size 7. That was the only make I could find in the size 7. Boye doesn't have one that I've been able to find, since I'm a Boye gal.

I got the Bates size 7 hook at Michaels. it shouldnt be too hard to find.

I did not think to check Michaels. I just went to the Joanne fabrics web site. There is a Michaes a few miles out the road from where Joanne's is. I will have to check when I am out that way.

Archived