Size for 'wheelchair' or 'lapgahn afghans?

Jan2

I have a lot of odd balls of yarn, and do NOT need anymore afghans for us, our family and our extended family! We are all 'afghaned out' as my DD put it.

I have started making squares, and thought i could start putting them together. Gave a couple of full size afghans to a home here in town this past winter, were they ever well received.Was told that people like to cover their legs while sitting in wheelchairs or in a chair, watching TV. I think these should be smaller, so as not to get caught in the wheels as they are moving. Does anyone know what size i should make? This is going to be a long project, as i have 2 large garbage/leaf bags full to the brim, but there are many homes here in town, and it's time for me to clear out. Thanks for any help you can give me. Jan.

Dewbaby- that chart will come in handy. For what i'm wanting, 36" x 48" (3' x4')is just right.

Redrose, you're info is right on. Thank you both for the info. :yes Jan.

I have also seen it suggested not to use fringe which can get caught in the wheels.

I've been making some for a local hospice about 42 x 54 (give or take a bit each direction depending on the pattern) but I had decided to start making them a bit smaller too, at least some of them. 36 x 48 sounds good.

I add a tie to two ends that can be tied to wheelchair so wheelchair ghan will not slip off. Can be a simple chain long enough to slip knot on ends of ghan and to be able to tie on chair.

Thanks for all the tips. :manyheart I don't like fringe on any afghan...a couple of washings and it starts to tangle and look ragged. Crocheting the chain lengths for ties is a good idea. Also the bit larger size for hospice. I'm sure i've got enough yarn for several in both sizes.:yes Jan.

I add a tie to two ends that can be tied to wheelchair so wheelchair ghan will not slip off. Can be a simple chain long enough to slip knot on ends of ghan and to be able to tie on chair.

Some states this is considered a restraint, even though are you tying the blanket to the chair it may also restrict the patient from standing up as they normally would, causing injury and/or falls. Please contact the local home you are to donate to.

Archived