Create YOUR Perfect Crochet Magazine

A lot of interesting ideas here.

I know it's impractical, but I think it would be nice if there were a way to have a subscripton 'a la cart'. This would probably work better with a digital subscription.

Examples of 'menu choices' - adult garments, child/baby, kitchen/decor, thread, blankets, pets, purses, holiday, etc etc.

Patterns for each genre would be published in little pamphlets/newsletters, maybe not every genre for the same number of issues each year.

So you could order a full subscription and get all the pamphlets, or if you are only interested in purses and blankets you could pay less and get just those pamphlets.

Oh yes! yesyesyesyes!! I love this idea! :yes:D;)

I would also love to see historical crochet...with variety. Maybe one month a story about a generational piece (like a wedding veil/gown, christening outfit. etc) pattern included would be AWESOME...another time with an "antique" pattern...with the antique version AND an updated version of said piece (such as a doily or edgings...some of those were worked in size 100)...or a story about someone in history who crocheted (I've seen some Piecework covers lately...can you tell? ;) )

I'd love to see a mag with fewer beginner pieces, and MORE intermediate and advanced patterns. There's an abundance of easy patterns/mags already. and charts...esp with doilies or lacework...give me charts! :drool

I'd love to see a monthly mag. Even having fewer patterns...say 10 instead of 20-30...It seems soo long to wait when there are only 6 issues per year.

I'd love to see one done "workbasket" style...digest size...friendly-neighbour chat style...Q&A columns, discussion of technique, and show&tell sections..."Meet an Indie" segment...(or other designers who are NOT big names) visits to yarn factories, and other places crocheters would love...(take us to Jimbo's place!)

probably not ALL that fluff in one issue of course. Oh, and do include those little patterns...the kind that "fill inches"...fridgies, bookmarks, applique, motifs...something "Just one more stitch" in style....

hmmm.

price? I'd like to see around $5...even for a monthly. I'll even sign up to copy edit ;)

This is my opinion

* Should the magazine have a specific focus or contains lots of different types of patterns? If you want a focused magazine, what should the focus be (high-fashion clothing, home decor, baby stuff, amigurumi, etc.)?

I think it should cover everything

* What types of regular columns would you want to see?

I would like to see a column on different types of projects, meaning things made out of plarn, t-yarn, pop tabs, and everything else you could use in a crochet project.

* What types of special articles would you like to see?

I would like to hear more from designers, what inspires them, how they got published the first time, etc...

* How should the patterns be written? (charts, schematics, etc.)

I think either depending on the project.

* Do you want any special types of photos included with the patterns?

no, not really. maybe just different color combinations.

* How many pages should the magazine be?

75-100 i think

* How much should the magazine cost?

anywhere from $6-$10

Amy, this is a very interesting thread:yes Are you going to tell us what your ideal magazine would be?

My problem is I don't know what my ideal magazine would be! I love some of the ideas people have given here. I hadn't even thought of some of them, and now they have to go into my list of what would make a perfect magazine!

Once I can put some of my thoughts together, I will share them, I promise!

Amy, are you considering starting a magazine of your own?!

I wish! If I had the financial backing to do it, I would love to create a magazine featuring some of the ideas in this thread.

Anybody have about $500,000--$1,000,000 seed money to give me? There are lots of people I'd have to hire to work at such a magazine. And it sounds like quite a few people who posted in this thread would be people I'd want to employ!

Unfortunately, starting my own magazine will probably remain a dream, unless I win the lottery. Which is going to be hard, since I never think about driving to Tennessee to buy a ticket! :lol

Amy:

What about compiling a list and submitting it to several or all current crochet magazines to let them know what a wide and varied number of their readers really want?

I wish! If I had the financial backing to do it, I would love to create a magazine featuring some of the ideas in this thread.

Anybody have about $500,000--$1,000,000 seed money to give me? There are lots of people I'd have to hire to work at such a magazine. And it sounds like quite a few people who posted in this thread would be people I'd want to employ!

Unfortunately, starting my own magazine will probably remain a dream, unless I win the lottery. Which is going to be hard, since I never think about driving to Tennessee to buy a ticket! :lol

Afterthoughts:

I'd like to see a magazine concentrate more on lefthanders.

What is an indie? an RAOK? and a million other abbreviations. I would like a magazine that explains these, and perhaps even keeps a running list.

I only crochet afghans so really don't have much interest in general magazines. But one thing I would like to see for any pattern, wherever it is found - magazine, book, or online - is two or three samples, not just one, make in different colors. I am sure I have passed up many, many wonderful patterns because I disliked the colors so much it was hard to really "see" the pattern itself.

Amy,

You could do a digital magazine along the lines of what Knitty.com does. I think it would be very successful. :)

there are some already, none as extensive as knitty yet, but they are out there

http://crochetuncut.com/ volunteer effort and I think all patterns are free

http://www.crochetinsider.com/ really good articles, interesting patterns

http://www.tensionmagazine.com/ this one is supposed to be edgy and there is an article title that some may object to

http://www.tangledness.com/ is just getting started but already has several nice free patterns

not a magazine, but lots of patterns to purchase http://www.patternfish.com/shop

Amy:

What about compiling a list and submitting it to several or all current crochet magazines to let them know what a wide and varied number of their readers really want?

Afterthoughts:

I'd like to see a magazine concentrate more on lefthanders.

What is an indie? an RAOK? and a million other abbreviations. I would like a magazine that explains these, and perhaps even keeps a running list.

Just my opinion, but I think if we want to communicate our wants to current magazines, it would be more effective to do that individually than for a list of many people's wants to be submitted. For one thing, different wants sort of cancel each other out, so it'd be really hard to make up such a list.

Info for lefties is a great idea, that is an area that is very seldom covered.

indie= independent who does not work for or get published by a bigger company

raok= random act of kindness

i'm sure there are lists of these online, or it's easy to google them as you come across them.

Archived