what is an afghan exactly?

Since my bedset cost over $200, is dry clean only, and was a gift from my in laws, I very much DO mind if animals get on it.

Wow, I've never owned a bedset for that much. I bet it is beautiful. I would mind very much too if my animals got on it. I guess instead of calling is a bedspread, I'd have to call it my luxury bedspread.

I have always taken for granted that afghan means it is knitted or crochet ANY size for any purpose (being a bed or for a couch or a throw, etc.). Quilts are pieces of fabric put together and comforters are fluffy made out of fabric.

I LOVE making afghans and it is what I have made the most of in the 31 years I've been crocheting. I 've done premie ones up to 7 foot long ones for tall guys.

Great question! :hook

A crocheted afghan is a loving hug from a friend or family member. It says "Please know that I am here for you & that I care for you or love you." When you are feeling blue or sad, you wrap yourself in it and receive a warm hug from whomever made it for you.

Yeppers, it's a blanket that is knitted or crocheted. Some would add that it is also something that is hand made versus commercially made (then it would be a throw).

I noted what the other poster said, but you know, there are advertising idiots out there. A woven item is never an afghan, although it could be called a throw. Interestingly, a throw has migrated to being anything that is 'couch' or 'lap' sized, however it is made.

Now, technically, if you make it to fit the size of a full-sized bed, it is no longer an afghan but a bedspread.

I noted what the other poster said, but you know, there are advertising idiots out there.

You're probably referring to me.

I didn't say they were right or wrong, just saying what they've called them.

:lol

Wow, I've never owned a bedset for that much. I bet it is beautiful. I would mind very much too if my animals got on it. I guess instead of calling is a bedspread, I'd have to call it my luxury bedspread.

I hadn't either but since we were fairly newly married and I had to accomadate both his taste and mine; most stuff not from Wal-Mart is around $100 and up.

I've had it about two years now and still love it.

:manyheart

To me a comforter is what my grandma made, it was cotton cloth with a batt of wool in between, then knotted, or tied about every 4 inches. They were never washed, just taken apart, the wool sent to the mill to be recarded, and new cloth put on every few years. We always had to make sure to keep them clean as long as possible. I made them for my daughters, they love them, so cozy. I made duvet covers for them out of sheets so they could be washed.

An afghan to me is knit or crochet from wool or acrylic yarn, about the size to cover you up while sitting in a chair. I have made many of both knit and crochet, even combining the two. Or a baby afghan which is smaller, about 3'x3'.

I have seen them called throws as well. Interesting that around the world and in different parts of the world we call things by different names.

Deb

Now, technically, if you make it to fit the size of a full-sized bed, it is no longer an afghan but a bedspread.

What ever happened to calling it a counterpane?

Deb:think

LOL reading all the replies is IS funny the different things we call these little (big) pieces of art that are crochet or knitted and used to cover beds, people, or the backs of couches.

The crocheted and knitted thread in a really lacy style, when I was growing up were called "coverlets" while the thicker yarn blankies and spreads were called afghans. A more dense "coverlet" was really a bed spread.

Here is California, its the RAGE to have a crochet coverlet, afghan, bedspread to decorate your county, cottage or shabby chic home. Not so much for the contemporary or modern tastes. Me, I've got crochet coverlets, curtains, and doilies everywhere. Does that make me popular in the ShabbyGrandma style? :rofl

To me, an "afghan" is always something that's crocheted or knitted. Especially granny squares or ripples.

Blankets, to me, mean soft and fuzzy brushed acrylic, or those velour blankets.

But - you can call them whatever you want!

:bounce

Hilarie

Archived