non-"slippery" thread...

Ms.Oz

Hopefully what I'm looking for is clear...I have a ball of something I bought at Jo-Ann's, I think it's Aunt Lydia's or Royal or something (I stupidly discarded the label) and I'm giving my first thread project a try. Problem is, the thread seems so slippery...it's very difficult to keep my stitches uniform as the thread doesn't "grab" against itself like yarn does. Does that make sense? Is there a better thread out there that's a little easier for a thread-newbie to work with? Some projects I've seen on here look like they're made with a more "matte" cotton, for lack of better description (i.e., no sheen). Would something like DMC Baroque work better for me, or if not, what would you recommend? I'm working with size 10, which so far I'm comfortable with.

Is it Aunt Lydia's Bamboo maybe? that is very limp and does feel different than cotton thread. I haven't found it to be overly slippery, but that is all I can think of. I don't know if Aunt Lydia's or Royal makes a rayon thread, but i do find rayon to be very slippery. I have a couple of balls of rayon thread that was my mom's, and I can't bear to throw it out even though it's so slippery I give up every time I try to use it.

If you are using thread for the first time, you might want to use some larger thread to begin with, like size 5 or 3, to get used to the way it feels.

DMC Cebilia is a tad pricier, but you may like it better. It's a good quality thread (And I don't think it slips) for the money, without going all "high-end". I personally love working with the soft Aunt Lydia's bamboo for some projects...soo much drape--not that I've made any wearables with it! (yet?). but for some projects "stiffer" thread is better. And sometimes, the cheapest stuff is the stiffest!

HTH

Hmmmm...pretty sure what I have is cotton, or at least a cotton blend. I recall searching just for cotton thread when I bought it, although who knows what I actually picked up. Pretty sure it's not bamboo. It has a stiffness to it, but it's smooth. At any rate, I'm not doing well with it and need a teensy more texture I guess.

I am wondering if the slipperyness is due to the fact that most crochet cottons are mercerized to make the fibers shiny (among other things).

I accidently picked up some DMC traditions a few years ago that wasn't mercerized. I thought it felt like spun toilet paper (unlike you I do like the sleek texture) but if you can find thread that isn't mercerized you might like it better. Most of that brand is mercerized, though, I think I just got an odd lot.

You might be able to find cones of thread meant for another purpose, but possibly not at the craft store.

BTW bamboo yarn/thread IS rayon made from bamboo. I made a doily from it but agree it's probably better for a wearable.

Granny Square, you may be right. I think it's the shiny-ness. I know I have a few items that were gifted to me that are thread crochet, and the thread is not shiny at all. I like the look of both, but I was thinking maybe the less shiny would be easier to work with.

Archived