How much?? And what pattern?

faithpa76

Question

I want to make dh a nice scarf for his birthday (October) so I'm looking at wools and wool blends now - I've never worked with wool before but I'm eager to try.

Anyway, he uses short scarves normally (like the ones you'd wrap around your neck under a dress coat) so I'm looking for something that will work well for that. And something very masculine. I was thinking maybe just a simple sc/dc/sc/dc/sc scarf so the yarn itself is still the main attraction of the scarf but it isn't boring.

I LOVE this - would it work for a scarf? Either the charcoal or heather grey (gotta stick with those neutrals since I think he's going to need a new coat this year).

http://secure.elann.com/productdisp.asp?NAME=Classic+Elite+Gatsby&Season=&Company=&Cat=Bargains&ProductType=5&OrderBy=+Order+By+Bargain+Desc&Count=317

How much do I need?? I've only really worked with weights so I don't know how to figure it out. Opinions on patterns (and whether or not to fringe a "manly" guy scarf, and how much of a difference that yarn will make in yarn quantities) would be appreciated, too.

5 answers to this question

The weight is listed, too... 3.5 oz.

I'd think for a short scarf, you might be able to get away with two of them... but I'm not sure. A skein of Lion Brand Wool Ease is 3 oz, just for comparison.

I like my scarves wide and loooooong... I like to wrap it around my neck twice and still have it hang out the bottom of my coat. LOL!

I'm such a goon - I looked at so many different yarns I missed the weight on that one! I still wasn't sure how much I'd need though, I haven't made any scarves.

Thanks!

I'd probably buy at least three, maybe more even - that way I could crochet until it was the length I wanted and not have to worry about running out. Having extra is much better, IMO, at least you could make a hat to match!

As for a pattern suggestion - I made a scarf for my boss last year out of Nature Spun - I used only one ball - and did a simple back loop sc rib - so it was short but still stretchy.

I also plan on using the same yarn for scarves this year, using a relief rib stitch instead.

With that yarn, I would probably get 3 balls, and I would do back loop hdc's working lengthwise to make it ribbed. My favorite scarves are about 4' long and 5" wide; to wear, I fold in half and pull the ends through the fold so that it's secure around my neck. I love scarves :D Have fun experimenting with new yarn!

I have two scarf patterns that were made for men, but they're longer than you want. I do give the multiple, so perhaps you could adjust?

http://www.crochetcabana.com/patterns/pat-misc.htm

It's Jamie's scarf and Dylan's Front Post Scarf. Dylan's is 57". Is that too long?

BTW, "weight" would be worsted, sport, fingering etc. There are wool yarns in all sizes I would imagine. Wool Ease is a nice yarn that is a wool blend.

Hope that helps.

Oh, Dylan's used one 8 oz skein.

Archived