Thread dc not solid enough?

Copyright72

I'm working on some thread crochet and it seems that the double crochet blocks are not as solid as I see some of the sample pictures are, meaning more see through (more light space between stitches), not as opaque. The stitches are nice and tight, not loopy, and the gauge is right on. I'm using Cebelia thread and have used Aunt Lydia's also with same results (both size 10). Is this normal, am I just looking at it too closely or should it be more closed in? Any tips would be appreciated! (Hopefully I explained this without being too confusing! :think) Thanks!

If your gauge is right, then your stitches should be right.

I have noticed that sometimes my projects actually look better to me in photos than in real life. (of course, on the other hand, there are some things I can't seem to get a decent photo of:) ) But anyway, if you are comparing your work to a photo in a book or online, you might try taking a photo of your project, and see how you think your photo compares to the sample pictures. Use natural light and no flash for best results.

Welcome to the Ville!:hook

Thanks for the welcome and the tip! As of now I'm looking at the gauge swatches, so it's comparing a blown up 2" square compared to full finished project pictures. I've only done a couple things in thread years ago and didn't notice anything, but am a lot more "picky" on myself now for some reason!?

I know what you mean about becoming more picky about our work. I think it has to do with all the information that is available now and having so many examples to compare our projects to.

When you use crochet thread it won't be as filled in as say a thicker yarn. Yarn is fuzzier, so the "fuzzies" help make the stitches more solid. Thread dcs will be more see through than ones with yarn. Just keep a close eye on your tension to make sure that it's not too loose.

Thanks again for the help and advice! I have been watching my tension and everything seems ok, meaning that it isn't loopy and turning out tight, even stitches. Like I said, it could just be me over analyzing myself. BTW, this site is great, I'm so glad I found it! Thanks again!

• 2 months later...

If you wanted, you might try substituting some of the dc for dec dc. Just do a dec dc in stitch 1 & 2, dc in stitch 2. The stitch count would be the same, but you'll use a lot more thread and have less space between stitches. I do this a lot with thread crochet and also with fingering/sport yarn when I want a more solid piece of work.

Archived