Mamaoso Illusion Bear Blanket finished-Post #13

mamaoso

Cool bear, mamaoso!

Oh, it's amazing. I'm not a bear lover.... but if anoyone finds a butterfly in this tecnique, please tell me.

Lots of graphs will work fine. Basically you follow a graph or chart to purl some stitches to stand out differently from the knit ones. It's a very simple technique but really cool in execution. I have thought about scarves with the owners' initials on them for gifts. If you know of a butterfly graph from even another medium (cross stitch, maybe?) it might work in your knitted piece.

Lots of graphs will work fine. Basically you follow a graph or chart to purl some stitches to stand out differently from the knit ones. It's a very simple technique but really cool in execution. I have thought about scarves with the owners' initials on them for gifts. If you know of a butterfly graph from even another medium (cross stitch, maybe?) it might work in your knitted piece.

So I could make a graph, and then follow it only on the wrong side, while only doing knit stitch on the right side?

And the graph dots are purl stitches? :think

So I could make a graph, and then follow it only on the wrong side, while only doing knit stitch on the right side?

And the graph dots are purl stitches? :think

That's not exactly all there is to it. Here are some directions from wikiHow to give you the basic concept. Here are some more directions and links from Squidoo. I hope these help you understand how illusion knitting works, Flia!

I'm not sure I can explain it as well as those links do, but you use two colors of yarn in a striped pattern. One of the colors will carry your picture in purls while the knit stitches form the background. Those purls will raise off the background but because they are the same color as the knit stitches in that single stripe, your eye doesn't see them when viewed head on. Viewed head on they kind of melt into the stripe pattern. The magic happens when you view the piece from an angle and all the purls seem to jump up from the surface, letting you see your picture. You can have a "hidden" message right in plain view.

I don't know if that will make sense or not. You might do a practice piece such as a dishcloth for the whole idea to gel for you. Good luck!

That's not exactly all there is to it. Here are some directions from wikiHow to give you the basic concept. Here are some more directions and links from Squidoo. I hope these help you understand how illusion knitting works, Flia!

I'm not sure I can explain it as well as those links do, but you use two colors of yarn in a striped pattern. One of the colors will carry your picture in purls while the knit stitches form the background. Those purls will raise off the background but because they are the same color as the knit stitches in that single stripe, your eye doesn't see them when viewed head on. Viewed head on they kind of melt into the stripe pattern. The magic happens when you view the piece from an angle and all the purls seem to jump up from the surface, letting you see your picture. You can have a "hidden" message right in plain view.

I don't know if that will make sense or not. You might do a practice piece such as a dishcloth for the whole idea to gel for you. Good luck!

Thanks

Thank you for your coments..

It's getting bigger!!

DD is in need of Baby presents for friends and co-workers, that's why the Teddy Bear..

Think I might do the moonrise or tiger one next..:think

• 3 weeks later...
Wow Great job mamaoso!!! I missed you ladies. I have been doing some knitting and crocheting and have so much to catch up on.

Thank you..

Miss you.too.

I'm crocheting a Cat afghan using CrochetLivings Cat Chart for my Cat Lover next door. Graduation present..;)

Archived