Question about Eyelash Yarn

AidanM

I've only used eyelash yarn a few times, but I think it works better for me when I use a larger hook. I believe I usually start with an M hook and see if I need to go higher or lower. Using another yarn with it can help if you are just trying it for the first time too.

If it is Fun Fur - I suggest wadding it up in a big ball and throwing it at the wall now and saving yourself a lot of time and frustration.

I would suggest a P or Q, but I crochet pretty tight.

A lot depends on the yarn itself. I've used some novelty yarns that were very fine, and some that were very thick. It does make things easier if you can run another regular strand of yarn along with the eyelash. It makes seeing and feeling the stitches much easier and gives the finished work a little more substance. If you're worried about the run-along yarn showing, you can use two strands of eyelash to one strand of regular yarn. I do that if I'm making something like a boa or a trim that really needs to look lashy and I want the runalong yarn to be unobtrusive.

As I understand it I am far from the norm when it comes to eyelash yarn, as I really enjoy working with it. As to the size of hook required, it does depend on your pattern, the type of fun fur and the finished look you are going for. If it is like lion brand fun fur and you want a tight finished project you can use a G or H hook, however if you are making a nice light furry scarf you can use a K up to an N hook. Also if you are attaching it as a trim to a finished project I would continue with the same sized hook you used for your project.

All of the previous posts are correct, it is easier to find your stitches if you carry another yarn with it, and the larger the hook the easier it is. However I find if you just take your time and don't mind a slightly slower pace you can work with it on it's own. You just have to be willing to take a little extra time and patience. Try to be sure of your pattern before you begin with it, because frogging it is a royal pain in the pattootie. But again if you are patient and take your time (I sometime use my hook to help me pull the individual strands of fur from the previous stitches, when frogging) it can be taken apart several times without ruining the yarn.

Hope this helps.

When I do scarves, I usually use a P hook, and do it in half double crochet. I find it easier to find my stitches in hdc compared to other stitches.

Archived