How much for hats

i take into account price of yarn and how many hours it takes. i charge $20 for a 3 hour project. (that includes about 1 skein of an inexpensive yarn like sugar n' creme, or wool ease). i am making a 4 hour hat right now and i'm charging $30 to my friend.

that is the problem i have.. I want to make up some items to take to a craft fair. but I have no clue what is exceptable to charge.. as when People see me making one and ask how much i would charge for a pice like that I usaly say well This blanket is taking 6 skeins and that rite there cost me close to 15 dollars and then you gotta figure my time so about 50 dollars..

Im met with "oh that's expensive don't u think"

so what dose or would she charge for blankets? like Single size,, queen, King? baby, Graphed afghans

do u charge more if the pattern is more complex? or what.

Im making a Sigle size ghan to put on my table to sell. how much would u figure that to come up to be?

Im poor at figureing out how much is to much or how little is to litle

With hats, it really is hard to put an exact price on one. If you put a price like $20 on a hat, will people actually think it is worth that? Or if you put a price about $6 or $7, will people think that is what it is worth and buy more?

People don't really realize what effort and skill it takes to make the product, and therefore, think that a lower price is more acceptable for the hat. Sad but true.

I plan on making a bunch of baby bonnets for a springtime fair and putting a price of about $7 on each. They are very cute, lacy and made of acrylic yarns. I think that is a fair price.

It's whatever price you think is fair, and what people are willing to pay.

I hope I help.

:manyheart

I normally look on like Etsy to see what other people charge and just average out the price. I charge $5 -$7 for hats, $30 for baby blankets, $20 for baby sweaters, but just try to find people locally that sell and see what their prices are. You want to be competitive so you have to factor that in also.

you want to be competitive but i think you all are chargine WAYYY too low. $5 for a hat? it took you probably at least 2 hours to make with at least $2+ for the yarn. so you're making about $2-3 each??? $1 an hour for labor? that's way too low.

i'm of the opinion that if that is the only price you can charge to sell them, then don't sell them. it's not worth your time. you have a skill and skill should have a reasonable price attached to it.

I agree with Leaette. When working out how much to charge it should be based on how much the yarn cost combined with how many hours you took to make it. Just think if you went to work what is the minimum amount per hour you are prepared to work for. Then add the cost of yarn + amount of hours to make at minimum rate and that is your price :) If someone likes it enough they will be prepared to pay for it. If your doing a spring fair or something you could make a little sign stating how you price your items, open some peoples eyes up. I wonder how little they would be prepared to work for?!!

someone posted awhile back on a similar thread..someone who has a lot more experience than I!! I believe they said 3x's the expected price of the yarn. So thinking a hat is 1 skein (probably less) for $3. So it would be a $9 hat. Seems a reasonable price.

this is a custom job and I think your price is very much in line. to make hats for the general public you can charge less because you chose the yarn pattern and hopefully your yarn on sale. as for pricing for a sale a lot depends on what you pay for the booth,travel expenses etc. etc.

I agree, I just never had luck with anything i make.. ppl Do not sit back and apreciate the time spent making the item.. all they want is a good bargen! but I would think if they realy sit back and apreciate the work put into a blanket, hat, scarf ect. They wont Flintch twice when they see the price.. and I'm willing to haggle a bit.. I set a lil high sometimes and when I get "that's to much" I say well what do YOU see as a fair price for something that took me X amount ot hours or months to make?

Archived