Yarn Suggestion

Me&P

I want to make a super-soft throw for a friend for Christmas. I went to HL and Michael's and WM yesterday to browse the yarns to decide. Everything that seemed soft enough for what I wanted and came in black didn't seem like it would wash well. I know this person and I know that a super-soft blankie would get a lot of, um, love - and be most appreciated!

So, have any of you used one of these new novelty yarns that are fluffy and soft (like the Caron Bliss-type, though I'm open to other suggestions as well) and had good experiences with washing them???

As a general rule, most of the novelty yarns I've made into things need to be hand-washed. I've never actually tried washing anything made with novelty yarn in the washing machine because I've been scared of something *bad* happening to it in the wash. :eek I am thinking Red Heart Light/Bright and Lofty could be washed in the washing machine, since it seems fairly sturdy to me, but I'd be careful of putting it in with other clothes/things it could "catch" or snag itself on (i.e. open metal zippers -- plastic zippers should be ok). I've washed LionBrand Homespun in the washing machine, and those projects come out alright through the wash. They sometimes have a little lint on them ... but that may have been from something else in the wash, not the yarn itself. (I never cared enough to figure out that mystery. :D )

You could also try using Caron Simply Soft. It is really soft, but alas, not quite "novelty yarn."

I made a shrug out of LB Velvet Spun. Ooh. That was super soft and cushy. I also mad a poncho out of Bernat's Frenzy yarn. It's part mohair, so you want to touch it all the time. That can get to be a bit obsessive. They are both for hand washings, though. Anything that is super soft is going to be mostly hand wash. You wouldn't want to machine wash something that has a lot of "hair" or a soft finish to it. I did another poncho with LB Polarspun. That is polyester and can be machine washed. The yarn is short "hair" that feels like soft cotton. It's cushy, too. I like the feel of it when I wear my poncho. I wore it one time, and people wanted to keep touching it. I did, too.:D

Machine wash would be great, but hand-wash is doable (though almost everything I own gets machine washed - on gentle, if its handwash)..... I love so many of the baby yarns but none of them come in black, or gray, or even dark blue... I'm starting to think I should just give up and go with Amore......

I love that stuff! But wouldn't it get icky once washed (even hand-washed???)? I have a couple skeins (I actually removed the acrylic-y part so it was just the soft stuff) but I haven't worked it up yet....

Red Heart's Plush is a very soft and textured yarn. I have used it for an afghan and also for a doll dress. It feels soft, it looks fluffy, it is worsted weight and best of all it is machine washable.:clap

http://www.herrschners.com/products/product.aspx?sku=010719

Now This is something you could roll around on or wrap yourself in el natural.:lol

Archived