I've been vewwy vewwy bad

HollyM

My delightful mailman just delivered my Woolee Winder :jumpyay

Just in time too, my spinning group is doing a demo at the county fair this weekend. I'll have a few days to practice!

I have a few errands to do before I can play, but I want to say fabulous service. I ordered it on the weekend, and it went right out on Monday.

Oh gosh...I just realized I "forgot" to mention this little purchase to hubby

I guess one of those errands should be the grocery store so I can make a nice dinner :devil

Holly

It's hard to see from the picture, but it's a flyer that replaces the existing flyer on your wheel. There is a gear system that makes the flyer eyehook travel up & down the length of the bobbin automatically as you spin. You don't have to stop and change hooks as you build up yarn and you don't loose your rhythm.

Besides the convenience, it also winds the yarn on more evenly than you can by stopping and starting which keeps your tension more even. You get a neater spun bobbin which will allow you to fit a little more yarn on the bobbin.

Look at some of the threads here on drop spindle spinning. :devil

You can get started for under $20 and a spindle doesn't take up any room at all. It's smaller than the proverbial bread box :rofl

Most of us here that spin taught ourselves on a drop spindle, got hooked, and moved up to a wheel.

Holly

You've got an S15, right? It looks like they carry one for it

LOUET

The WooLee Winder for the S90 has drive ratios of 6.5:1; 9.5:1; and 15:1. The S10, S15, S51, S75, S76, and S77 model has drive ratios of 9.6:1 and 13.7:1. Please specify the Louet model number when ordering to ensure that the finish will match your wheel.

Not that I'm trying to twist your arm or anything.......:devil

I gave it a spin last night (hardy har har) and it *does* work like a dream. :manyheart

Holly

Not yet, I'm still trying to get somewhat consistant with regular yarn. I figure I should have good control before I add other elements. I haven't even done a plyed yarn yet. I'm planning on plying the next bunch of roving I do though.

It's funny, I like thick/thin singles, Manos type yarn & was able to get stuff that was pretty much like it at first. Everyone said enjoy it now, pretty soon you will find it hard to spin thick yarn on purpose. Guess what??? My stuff is getting thinner & thinner and I'm not really trying to.

Holly

I learned to spin 3 years ago now at a state fair demo. My SIL did the demo and I was the "anyone can learn to spin" stand in. Well, several of the ladies from her guild didn't believe that I had just learned because I was spinning fine from the get go. But my spinning has gotten finer and more consistant and now I cannot spin bulky even when I try!!!!!!!!!

I would like a woolie winder but alas....I seem to always have more then one bobbin going and well.....perhaps I can put that on my Christmas wish list for hubby :eek

Not yet, I'm still trying to get somewhat consistant with regular yarn. I figure I should have good control before I add other elements. I haven't even done a plyed yarn yet. I'm planning on plying the next bunch of roving I do though.

It's funny, I like thick/thin singles, Manos type yarn & was able to get stuff that was pretty much like it at first. Everyone said enjoy it now, pretty soon you will find it hard to spin thick yarn on purpose. Guess what??? My stuff is getting thinner & thinner and I'm not really trying to.

Holly

• 1 month later...

Eeek! Let me dig around on my desk.... shoot...can't put my hands on the paperwork at the moment. If you email them, they should be able to explain what you need to do.

It was really easy to assemble though. It replaces the whole flyer mechanism. With my Lendrum, I just had to unscrew one knob and switch them.

When you put the bobin on, make sure the gears meet up. Then you thread your leader as normal and get spinning! It does the rest :)

Once you get it going, you are going to LOVE it :manyheart

Holly

Awwwww, bummer it wasn't the WW, but yay on it being something that ended up being cool anyway. I wouldn't tell him, no point discouraging him from buying fiber stuff in the future :devil

Print out the Woolee Winder order form and stick it on the fridge around December 1st :heehee

Holly

Archived