granny color?

when making a granny afghan (multicolor) do you

1. put all your colors out around you so you can see them?

2. pick only certain colors?

3.edge in black or other color?

4.light or dark center?

:crocheting Hi, Granny Afghans have been around for so long your choices are endless...first decide if its a gift for you or someone else...you can have alot of colors or one or two...borders can be any color..not the traditional black..its been awhile since i made one..but they are always fun..I made a black and white giant one out of chenille..so soft and comfy

did you ever see the granny square wreck room exhibit..here is the link..as you can see grannys come in all shape and sizes..decide on your granny shape..you can do traditional square or a octagon

http://www.allysonmitchell.com/visualart/granny_square/index.cfm?si_photo=1

here is a pattern that has been on my to do list for a spring gift

http://debscrafts55.blogspot.com/2008/03/sunflower-lap-ghan.html

4.light or dark center?

1. I just completed one recently and I had all my scrap yarn I wanted to use for the project in a big bag. For each square, I set out the colors I was going to use then threw them back in the bag when I was done.

2. I used all the colors I had in my scrap pile, but I did use one color (off-white) consistently throughout in each square.

3. I used black for mine, but I've seen some really pretty ones with off-white borders.

4. I mixed them all up and had a variety.

Good luck and have fun! :)

4.light or dark center?

I have to agree with Red, your choices are endless. I have made lots and lots of granny afghans, and it just depends. Sometimes I use two/three/four colors that match/coordinate and sometimes I use my scraps (a lot of colors) which I just grab and use without even looking to see if they match. Sometimes I border with a main color sometimes I border with multiple colors, and sometimes I border with the traditional black. IMHO, whether they are a hodge podge of colors or matching/coordinating colors, they always come out very pretty.

I keep a basked of yarn right next to my couch, and if doing granny squares, I just sort of decide on the next color based on the color of the square I just attached to match them up. Then I look at all the colors when I'm done, and decide what to edge it in.

1. put all your colors out around you so you can see them? If I'm making up the pattern as I go along I'll draw it out to see how the colours look first, in which case I'll probably have the next colour standing by. If I'm just picking from my bag of odds 'n ends, I'll end one colour and then dig through for the next one that feels right.

2. pick only certain colors? Absolutely. I'm pretty picky.

3.edge in black or other color? Sometimes, depends on the mood or the pattern I've chosen. In other words, no preference.

4.light or dark center? Either, it depends on what I think looks good that day or what the pattern calls for. Again, no preference.

To be a "true" granny square afghan, you put all your scrap balls in a bag. Pull out one and make 1 (2?) rounds, then grab another color (no peeking) and use that, etc. When the square is about 6 inches, do one round of sc in your main color (black, brown, whatever). If you do the same number of rounds for each square, they should be the same size.

Ellie 13

When I am finished with the afghan I am working on, the pattern in this Coats&Clark link will be the next one I make for a new GS due in April, simply because the colors caught my eye :D:

GRANNY

Archived