hook help from vintage pattern.

I have an old pattern that I think would make a beautiful shawl. There's only one problem. okay, 2. there's no results on yarndex for the yarn listed, and no suggested gauge...and I have NO idea what size a "No 8 Celluloid crochet hook" would be. My best guess was H, as I know the I hook is also referred to as 9 (I have a hook that says "I/9/5.5mm" on it...talk about going all out. But I've seen other vintage patterns where the number on the steel hook does not co-ordinate with the numbers on my steel hooks (and I recall the Bates and Boye steel hooks did use different numbers, so I just go with what hook size fits the size thread)

Can anyone help?

TIA

Thanks for the tips and the links! I'll be saving those :). Based on the information and suggestions you've all given, I think I will start with a light ww and an H hook, and see if it comes to something that looks reasonable, size-wise. Granted, that's going to be a while, but it was on my mind, having just found that pattern. :)

(I didn't find the yarn on the discontinued yarns site..guess it's too small or obscure of a yarn. Beehive Shetland Floss. There's lots of Shetlands, in several weights...mostly in light and medium though. "floss" makes me think light, but the hook (8) makes me think heavier...so light ww is where I'll start :D ...Thank you for that link, IrishMist...I will definitely be bookmarking it for future reference)

Archived