Cheapest place to find thread online

Ok I'm making a doily and my sister and I will present it to the lovely couple on their wedding day my question is where's the cheapest place to find thread online and boy I'm I ever scared have never worked with thread

I'm sure you'll do a fantastic job! :cheer:hug Maybe start with a smaller project (snowflakes?) to get the feel of the thread, and gain your self-confidence...can't wait to see what you make :)

if you like Peaches and Creme, they have thread... www.elmore-pisgah.com...their shipping is a bit steep though (actual prices are good, I think, and they have very fast service)

www.yarn-and-thread-by-lisa.com is a good site. lots of variety. good shipping rates, if I recall correctly, and good turnaround time...

I've used www.hhtatting.com lots of different threads. I believe katchkan uses that site as well.

and you could try craftsetc.com (Hobby Lobby's website, basically)

HTH

Once you work with thread it is easy. You will love it. Just take your time and you will have no problem. I am making doilies for x-mas gifts. You can buy basic cotton at wal-mart. The big draw back is they usually only have basic colors.

Thank you all I'll start with a bookmark I talked to my dad he said to go them a matching scarf and hat set only because what would a guy do with a doily since it's for both of them.

Try different brands of threads in your sample projects - some are nicer than others. I personally do not like Southmaid or DMC, I find them very rough on my hands. I like Royal the best so far.

Also, make sure you use the correct size hook. I had all kinds of problems when I first started with thread because the hook I was using was too small. If the hook doesn't "flow" smoothly for you thru the thread, try the next size up. Don't be afraid to change hook sizes - it won't change the size of the doily that much if you only go up by a hook size.

Good luck and make sure you post pics when you are done.

Lucky, which of the DMC threads don't you like? I don't care for Traditions, but have found Baroque, Cebelia, and Cordonnet to be smooth. Is the Royal you use the one form Coats and Clark, "J. P. Coats Classic Royale"?

Try different brands of threads in your sample projects - some are nicer than others. I personally do not like Southmaid or DMC, I find them very rough on my hands. I like Royal the best so far.

Also, make sure you use the correct size hook. I had all kinds of problems when I first started with thread because the hook I was using was too small. If the hook doesn't "flow" smoothly for you thru the thread, try the next size up. Don't be afraid to change hook sizes - it won't change the size of the doily that much if you only go up by a hook size.

Good luck and make sure you post pics when you are done.

I don't like the the South Maid or DMC Traditions either. Royale is okay, but I like Aunt Lydia's the best for "softness" in my hands. I have admittedly not tried DMC Cebelia, which I hear many great things about, it's just too expensive and I'm afraid I'd like it too much =)

Lucky, which of the DMC threads don't you like? I don't care for Traditions, but have found Baroque, Cebelia, and Cordonnet to be smooth. Is the Royal you use the one form Coats and Clark, "J. P. Coats Classic Royale"?

It is the DMC traditions I don't like - I love Cebelia.

I use the Classic Royale mostly.

I don't like the the South Maid or DMC Traditions either. Royale is okay, but I like Aunt Lydia's the best for "softness" in my hands. I have admittedly not tried DMC Cebelia, which I hear many great things about, it's just too expensive and I'm afraid I'd like it too much =)

I also like Aunt Lydia's - that seems to be the most readily available.

:( Don't try Cebelia - it is very nice and you will like it alot. I agree, too expensive, but every once in awhile JoAnn's or Michael's will have some in clearance and I scarf it up. It really is my favorite, but so far I have only used it for snowflakes due to the cost.

Lucky, I'm glad to read it's the Traditions you don't care for, and not the others. I do prefer Traditions to Southmaid.

I have found this page of thread reviews quite helpful.

http://crochet.tangleweeds.com/thread.html

Jennie Gaskin sells Cebelia for less than other places I've found.

http://www.countryyarns.com/cebelia.htm

She also sells Optima, and DMC Cordonnet.

Archived