I'm thankful for crochet!

I was just thinking how Christmas is in four weeks and for the first time ever, I'm not overly stressed over the holidays and what to buy people. I've been crocheting for almost two years now, and made a couple of gifts last year, but now that I'm a bit better I've made a lot more gifts. I've made my mother an afghan (Lion Brand diagonal granny pattern), my father an afghan (a ripple), and my 9 year old and 7 year old daughters their own afghans for their beds. I've made clutches for my MIL, SIL, and sister (they just need to be lined now). I've made cradle purses for my 7 y/o and 2 y/o daughters. And today I'm making a cozy for my 9 y/o for the camera she'll be receiving. Oh, and my 13 y/o will be receiving a hook case filled with her own hooks in her stocking (she crochets also).

I know this isn't news to anyone here, but I'm just so happy that I have this ability to create things, for the first time in my life. I wish I had learned how to crochet when I was younger. I'm thrilled that my oldest has taken it on, and my 9 y/o has learned the basics also. She'll be getting a kid's learning book and her own hooks and yarn (which she actually had requested for her birthday).

And it's so much easier to bring myself to spend money on yarn than it is to fork it over for some mass-produced junk at the mall that will be forgotten about soon enough.

Happy Early Thanksgiving everyone! :hook

I'm the only one in my family that does anything crafty. Everyone is always thrilled to get something made just for them. This year 10 of my nieces and nephews are getting snuggies, my mom is getting ugg slippers mad from a Crochet today pattern just to list a few.

When you know how to crochet, knit, or do crafts going shopping on Black Friday is not that important. Plus when we give something we have made we are giving a piece of ourselves. I feel that makes it more meaningful than buying a gift. Even if we take great care in picking out just the right gift.

When you know how to crochet, knit, or do crafts going shopping on Black Friday is not that important. Plus when we give something we have made we are giving a piece of ourselves. I feel that makes it more meaningful than buying a gift. Even if we take great care in picking out just the right gift.

You said it! I like to think of it as 'Freedom from Mall Tryanny'. Being able to craft just opens our gifting horizons. I'm sure God smiles on this...:c9

I agree. It's nice knowing what you are making is appreciated too. My mom crochets some, but I am the only one in the fam that does it ALL the time. Everyone comes to me and asks if I can make something for them or for a friend. My nieces love the gifts I make for them on the holidays. I almost always make all of my xmas presents. Happy Thanksgiving to you!:tdance

Archived