Geocities.com closing!!

amandasgramma

Ladies if you would like to keep patterns but don't have any ink for printing have no fear I have the solution for you!

You simply download the website and keep it on your computer and then you can access the page as much as you want! Keep it till you print it or keep it forever the choice is yours!

I use Firefox so I'll list the directions for it, but IE shouldn't be much different.

Simply make a new folder in your Documents and name it anything you want, mine is named Crochet Pattern Downloads, you can close this you won't need it open until later. You can even use this folder later to sort your patterns by category or however you choose but for now to make it fast we will only use one folder. If you need helpcwith how to sort, send me a pm.

Now go to the webpage you want to keep, right click, and then choose SAVE PAGE AS, choose your new folder and the click ok. It's that simple but we are not done yet there is just a bit more you may have to do.

Now go to your folder that you have downloaded the webpage to. There should be 2 files (if you have only done one webpage), a folder and an html file. To access the pattern you will simply click on the html file. It will load it your web browser just like a webpage. IF your page doesn't load correctly and you can't see anything the reason is there are a few javascipts in the folder. But not to worry this can be easily taken care of!

Close the page you opened, and open the folder. You will see a bunch of files in there, but the ones we are most concerned with are the files that look like the picture below. They may not be named the same thing and there may not be the same number but don't worry about that. If it has that crazy little yellow icon it has to go. This is code that places the advertisement on the webpage so you don't need them. Delete those files. Close the folder and now click on the html page as before to open it. You should see the page perfectly just as it appeared on the internet, well minus the advertisements :D

If you need any help pop me pm and I'll do my best to help you out. After doing the first couple of pages and deleting what you have to, you should be comfortable enough to just go hog wild and download all the page you want and the go back later on and delete the files that need to be deleted.

Edit to add:

I just discovered that most webpages will still show the ads. Specifically the ads that load to the right of the page. I'm working on how to get rid of those but for now at least we have the patterns.

• 1 month later...

I'm sorry I didn't see this before now. I had favored a certain site, waiting for the time I had to print the patterns. When I checked a few weeks later, the site was closed. I assumed the person shut the site down. Thanks for letting us know what really happened. Such a shame that so many great patterns will probably never be seen again.

Archived