Any crochet mag compare to Interweave Knits?

snbunch

I've looked through a couple of issues of Interweave Knits numerous times, and really adore the style of patterns they present. However, I don't knit and don't foresee that changing soon. Are there any crochet mags that compare to IK in style?

I encourage anyone listening to email them and tell them that once a year just doesn't cut it. They had asked for opinions on their site after putting out the first one last year (?). On their site they say this:

"Crochet, like knitting, is gathering attention and gaining respect. Simple as it is—one hook, one stitch—it has many creative possibilities. These pages present our current crochet offerings in one convenient place. We hope you'll enjoy these projects and let us know if you'd like to see more."

While I kind of take offense to the "..gaining respect" part, the only way we can get these publications to increase is by voicing our opinions.

Mail: Interweave Knits Magazine

201 E. Fourth St.

Loveland, CO 80537

E-mail: knits@interweave.com

Fax: (970) 669-6117

Phone: (970) 669-7672

(Monday - Friday, 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. MST)

UPDATE:

I did email them again, pointing out that I kind of took offense to their blurb in the "Crochet Corner" of the site. I got a nice response back and I'm pleased that they're considering a revision of those words:

Hi Amie,

As Pam is on location this week, doing a photoshoot, she asked me to respond to your email. We’re sorry that this quote finds offense, it certainly wasn’t meant to belittle the craft of crochet. Pam was targeting the short letter to knitters, who were beginning to delve into crochet. As we move from knitting to both knitting and crochet, we hope to encourage our established reader-base to rediscover this craft, and at the same time, to provide an excellent publication for those who have already been avid crocheters. Perhaps that sheds some light on the tone of the letter, but we understand your sentiments about the assumptions of the letter, and we will reconsider this section of the website. As this quote has been on the site for almost a year now, it is time to do some reconstruction anyhow. Thank you so much for your honest feedback; it’s great to know what our readers are thinking. The new Crochet issue goes to press this week, and it is looking wonderful. We hope you will be pleased.

I also checked out your website, very interesting. I will keep it in mind if we decide to do more issues of Crochet, but everything is up in the air at this point. Thank you again,

Lisa Shroyer

Editorial Assistant

Interweave Knits

201 E 4th St, Loveland, CO

Lisas@interweave.com

It sounds like they're looking for a good turn out in order to know if they're planning future edition of that publication. I'll be interested in seeing it. It's offered at my local craft store, so I'll be checking it out.

I recently found a copy of the current knit.1. It has quite a bit of crochet, and the designs are aimed at young, hip crafters. Some very nice stuff, in both knitting and crochet, and a few real ugly duds. Too bad the ugliest was crochet, but there was also a beautiful white off the shoulder crocheted dress.

They're not set up for subscriptions, but I hope that is coming soon.

I recently found a copy of the current knit.1. It has quite a bit of crochet, and the designs are aimed at young, hip crafters. Some very nice stuff, in both knitting and crochet, and a few real ugly duds. Too bad the ugliest was crochet, but there was also a beautiful white off the shoulder crocheted dress.

They're not set up for subscriptions, but I hope that is coming soon.

I agree with your review. I liked the young energy of the issue and the crocheted dress was indeed the highlight. :bounce

I saw that and thought the cover seemed very *young.* I didn't have time to pick it up and look at it, and I'm happy to hear that there was crochet (good or bad) in it. I'll have to go check that out. Soho Publications, which does Vogue, Knit1, and Family Circle is putting out a crochet edition next month. I got an August 23rd confirmation date for it (I'm excited to be in it!) and I'm VERY curious if it'll be filled with cool patterns. And, I'm curious if it'll be in the same line as the Knit1 mag. Interweave's Crochet edition is nice, but I'd like to see a different approach to crochet from another mag.

Archived