Veterans Appreciation CAL

kraftynkrazy

Hi all! I am about to post a request for assistance with a project in the crocheting for charity section, but I wanted to post this CAL here too. I have been in contact with a wonderful lady who works with the Veterans Hospital in Oklahoma City to provide for as many of the needs of our veteran heroes as possible. I offered to make as many lapghans as I could for them which she gratefully accepted but also indicated a real need for crocheted or knitted caps for those veterans in the Traumatic Brain Injury unit. I have never hosted a CAL before or asked for help with a charity project, so I am not sure how to go about it, but hope this will suffice. I would love to provide them with as many of the caps and lapghans as possible in the next few weeks. (My personal commitment is 10 lapghans and 30 caps) I am planning to deliver to her around the middle to end of October. Please let me know if you can help us out and pm me if you have any questions.

As for the CAL, no matter for whom or for what charity you are crocheting for, if it is related to giving back to our deserving military veterans, this CAL is for you. Please join me and we can share patterns and progress and :cheer each other on while we do something for those who have done so much for us!

When you call the VA what dept do you ask to speak to about something like this? Or would it be appropriete to check with the local American Legion, VFW or something like that?

I looked up the va hospital on google and then went to the donations page. They had a list of monetary donations and items to buy that are needed. There was also a contact number. I called the contact number; told them that I would like to crochet items for them and what did they need. They transferred me to the recreation therapist who works directly with patients and told me what was needed. Ours is no longer accepting lapghans as they just take too much storage they said. Wheelchair bags and prayer shawls are what they requested.

When you call the VA what dept do you ask to speak to about something like this? Or would it be appropriete to check with the local American Legion, VFW or something like that?

I did not go directly through the VA but came in contact with Jody through another avenue. I became interested in the volunteer work she was doing and offered to help. I have not spoken directly with the VA. I imagine if you were interested in doing something similar where you live you could do as patterncollector suggested and just call the VA and ask. :)

Soldiers Angels has a crochet group and they have contacts they can connect you with.

Kraft, do you have any info on the caps? Appropriate yarns? Styles? Colors?

I would think if they were for Head injuries they would have to be very soft.

Soldiers Angels has a crochet group and they have contacts they can connect you with.

Kraft, do you have any info on the caps? Appropriate yarns? Styles? Colors?

I would think if they were for Head injuries they would have to be very soft.

That was a good question. I called Jody and asked. Any styles are fine. Colors, obviously she requested red, white, and blue though she did indicate that some of the female veterans she takes things to at the retirement homes prefer bright, cheerful colors as well. The caps are needed for a wide range of reasons, but are especially important for those with traumatic brain injuries as they make them feel somewhat more secure. I will be using soft yarns (one of my favorites that isn't to expensive is I Love This Yarn. I am also still looking at patterns so not sure what I will be using but will probably make several different kinds to give a variety. Thanks again.

Well goodness I don't know how that happened!! :lol Lets try this again.

http://www.crochetville.org/forum/showthread.php?t=80410 Sorry about that.

Thank you for that link! That really helped and made me even more determined to help our veterans in this way!

I will do my best to make some for you. When I have them ready I will contact you for your mailing address. I can't say now how many I will be able to commit to, it all depends upon how my wrist problems go.

I definitely want to try to help our Veterans !!!!!!!!

God bless America.

I will do my best to make some for you. When I have them ready I will contact you for your mailing address. I can't say now how many I will be able to commit to, it all depends upon how my wrist problems go.

I definitely want to try to help our Veterans !!!!!!!!

God bless America.

Thank you so very much!!! Anything you can do will be much appreciated! :)

hi, Krafty-

What a wonderful and worthwhile CAL to start!

I wanted to drop by and post a link to this pattern, in case it can help anyone:

http://www.crochetville.org/forum/showthread.php?t=99412&highlight=american+flag

The design was intended for the recognition of our servicemen and women, and for our veterans. For those who give so much for what too many take for granted...

I wish you much success on reaching your goal! :cheer:cheeryou can do it!

hi, Krafty-

What a wonderful and worthwhile CAL to start!

I wanted to drop by and post a link to this pattern, in case it can help anyone:

http://www.crochetville.org/forum/showthread.php?t=99412&highlight=american+flag

The design was intended for the recognition of our servicemen and women, and for our veterans. For those who give so much for what too many take for granted...

I wish you much success on reaching your goal! :cheer:cheeryou can do it!

WOW! Thank you so much for the pattern. Those squares would look great with some plain red, white, and blue ones for a veteran's lapghan. I really appreciate it!

So I have just gotten off the phone with two VA's both are nursing home ones and have a list of things they need. I'm still trying to get in touch with the VA hospital I'm getting now answer there.

One place does not need laprobes, but needs walker & wheel chair bags, also catheter bag covers. They said about the size of a dinner plate made like a purse with no handles, and close with velcro. I was told all colors not just red, white and blue.

I have mentioned this CAL to my sister and she is in on it too. :D

Hi all. Jody came by my house today to pick up some other things I had for her (dining table and various objects she is giving to military couples who are setting up house for the first time when they return from Iraq). Anyway, she told me that they have anywhere from 20-30 veterans in the traumatic brain injury unit at any one time with more coming in, not to mention the other 600+ veterans they are helping with all sorts of needs. :eek

I have been busy at work on caps. I have completed one after going to Hobby Lobby yesterday to get some more yarn in red, white, blue, pink, and purple. (I also found a neat book of crocheted caps and a gorgeous afghan book - any excuse to buy more patterns... lol) I am also going to do some caps in some more neutral colors to offer a wider range of choices. I will post pictures as soon as I get a couple more done.

So I have just gotten off the phone with two VA's both are nursing home ones and have a list of things they need. I'm still trying to get in touch with the VA hospital I'm getting now answer there.

One place does not need laprobes, but needs walker & wheel chair bags, also catheter bag covers. They said about the size of a dinner plate made like a purse with no handles, and close with velcro. I was told all colors not just red, white and blue.

I have mentioned this CAL to my sister and she is in on it too. :D

Awesome!

I got quite a bit done on a prayer shawl. Shades of brown. Hopefully get a chance to get it done this week.

Archived