What do you think? (long)

I have an idea and I need to run it by the experts before I shoot off my mouth and get in over my head.

My kids school, due to budgets, had to reduce the PE program from two/three days per week to one day per week.

Now, in the middle school (grades 6-8), the kids have a study hall. Some kids use that time for the school band class.

I was thinking of asking the principal if I could offer to teach crochet.

My plan would be to teach a few classes to get the kids started on the basics. Then reduce the time to once a month (if the principal and teachers would allow the kids to crochet in study hall).

I would start the kids on a simple sc square, then teach them HDC and DC

Use the squares for lapghans or blankets.

As skills advanced they could learn to make a simple hat or beanie.

Now, This is a Catholic school that heavily emphasizes stewardship (using one's time talent and treasure - gifts from G-D- for the church and Her work)

This is a huge parish with many ministries and we could probably give out blnakets/ baby blankets/ slippers etc through the church ministries.

Am I crazy? Should I talk to the Principal?

BTW I am Left handed but I know a rightie who may be able to help.

Thoughts?

Have you had any luck getting your idea approved? It is a good idea but the way schools go, sometimes, it does take a while. Don't give up.

And also, I think it's wonderful that you want to help out that way. I think schools in general would be better off if more parents volunteered to offer their services in their own areas of expertise.

I wish you good luck in your personal campaign to help out the school.

:manyheart

OK, I took the plunge and sent an email to the principal at my sons' school.

I explained what I wanted to do and that I would provide start up materials for 10 students.

My plan is to teach single crochet and make 6 inch squares to join into snugglies for the local animal shelter.

Then teach hdc and dc and how to read a pattern.

Move on to baby blankets for the local women's crisis pregnancy center (lionbrand has a simple 9 patch and several ripples)

As they get better teach crochet in the round for beanies and Ami's

I can start by myself but I am betting there are others who can give 40 minutes a week to teach once in a while.

I also sent a link to an article that mentions the benefits of crochet, including improved math skills.

I hope I haven't bitten off more than I can chew!!!! Wish me luck!!

That's a good idea. Talk to the principal and I think she'll/he'll consider the offer. It's a good way of teaching students of using their skills for their development and I think crocheting is one of those skills. The kids can even use this in later time. I'll be very much willing to enroll my kid to that class. In this way I am keeping my kid away from bad hobbies.

I'll support you with that through this forum. Goodluck!:clap

that is a great idea... I do not see a reason why a school would not let you u do it.. or let the kids crochet during Study hall. i use to cross stich during mine in HS. I didnt learn to crochet till around the time i got preggy with my first baby. an i wanted to make a blanket.. cause everyone i knew who crochet was either gone or no longer living in the area.

my daughters want to learn.. but rite now i feel they are not ready.. and my 12 yr old son wants to learn but he said will ppl think he's Funny if he learned.. I told him NO NO NO boys crochet.. I had to remind him MY uncle (his great uncle) crochets..

Introduce your son to The Crochet Dude and other Men on this blog who crochet!

I am waiting to hear from the principal. It is Monday so It may take him a while to get around to his emails today.

In the meantime I am making an Ugly Snuggly to show him what I am thinking of for the first project effort.

I appreciate all the support ville members have given me!

I think 10 is too many. Especially for the first few classes. The kids that've never held a hook before need more 1 on 1 time than you can give. Maybe break it down into 2 groups of 5 and once they have the basics down then combine them.

I did a starter class at my daughters school and 10 was too many. 8 of them never held a hook or chained before. There were just too many asking for help at 1 time.

I think it's an awesome idea tho. I'm glad you're going ahead with discussing it with the principal. It can be rewarding. Just know that you might have to weed out the kids that are just trying to get out of being bored. You'll know by the ones who work on it at home and those that don't.

Right now I'm waiting to hear from DDs principal so we can start up the classes again. She's hoping that one of them will love it enough to enter into the Home Arts part of the competition in April.

i'm going to send you a pm. hope you don't mind.

I heard from the school pricipal today. He informed me that they are emphasizing study halls as "academic" time not elective time. (of course this is when Band meets).

He said I could do an after school class, but, sadly I have no tome for that with my kids other activities.

So, no go on the class. Maybe he will change his mind.

I heard from the school pricipal today. He informed me that they are emphasizing study halls as "academic" time not elective time. (of course this is when Band meets).

He said I could do an after school class, but, sadly I have no tome for that with my kids other activities.

So, no go on the class. Maybe he will change his mind.

Isn't that a shame?? When I was in study hall, we just brought a book from home to read. If you asked most kids it was a waste of time. Teaching children to be creative through crochet is a wonderful idea and it could be just the thing for some child who has no self esteem to do that would bolster his/her confidence, especially if they knew their squares were going to be made into an afghan. Well, you never know what God has in store, so maybe all is not lost.

No home-ec, this is a small school.

I will let it go for now, maybe the new Study Hall will prove to be wasted time and the principal will contact me.

In the mean time I made two ugly snugglies for the local animal shelter.

Archived