Granny Square vs. washing machine

Last week I was washing some granny squares to donate to a care wear group in my area. After my load was done I noticed a burning smell coming from the washer. Didn't think anything of it. Put load of squares in dryer and put a load of clothes into the washer. A little while later I heard a thumping and high pitched squeal coming from the laundry room. Went to investigate and found smoke pouring out from the back of the washer. :eek I called the landlord who sent out a washer/dryer repair man today. Nice young man came out and proceeded to take apart the washing machine. After a few minutes I heard him snicker, then he came into my living room holding a mangled granny square and asking me if I was missing a square. :blush Seems that one slipped into the inner mechanism and was causing the belts to stop and the pulley to burn. He was able to fix the machine after that but boy am I in trouble with dh :devil. I'm just glad it didn't need replaced. :hook

Eek! Well it's not your fault, it could have just as easily have been a sock that 'got loose' and caused the problem. Maybe you should invest in some laundry bags (2/$1 at the dollar store) to corral little items if your washer eats them.

Glad everything turned out OK, except for the square :blink. A house a few streets over from me burned down due to a faulty dishwasher that the owner left on while running an errand :eek

Sorry that happened. I find it interesting because I always hand wash and block my squares in the sink and lay them on a large towel. I have never even thought of putting them into the washer loose. I have put an entire blanket in there finished but I wash it on delicate. It is unbelieveable that a granny square could cause a FIRE!!!:eek

Now my hubby is saying,"I always knew crocheting was dangerous,I just thought it was a danger to my wallet." :rofl I'll think twice about putting squares in there loose again. :think

:rofl:rofl:rofl:rofl

Glad there wasn't more damage--could have been a lot worse. Buy some laundry bags and put the squares in them.

Archived