padding cord

Finnbar

Question

I am not following these instructions for a padding cord ring. Although I have searched, I can't find instructions I can understand for padding cord. Am I making this more difficult than it actually is? Is padding cord the same as a bullion stitch? How do I make padding cord and then a padding cord ring? Please help or direct me to where I can find specific instructions.

"pc ring = Padding cord ring. This ring is made by wrapping your padding cord around the non-working end of a crochet hook. Normally 8-10 times is sufficient. cut of excess thread, leaving about a 1 inch tail. Gently slide off and insert hook with your woking thread through and sc in ring. follow instructions for the number of sc in ring....."

Deep sigh, all I want to do is make a bookmark.

8 answers to this question

I've never heard of a padding cord ring, but I'm sure somebody here can help.... it doesn't sound like a bullion stitch, though - because with a bullion stitch you don't cut the thread...you just make the stitch by wrapping it around the hook and then sliding the loop through.... no, it doesn't sound like the same thing to me.

The "padding cord" - is it the same thread as you're using in your project, or is it something different?

Can you tell us what pattern you're attempting?

I'm not sure, but maybe this will help: http://www.allfreecrafts.com/ebooks/HowtoCrochet2.pdf

Start reading at page 33.

Evidently this is a method used in Irish Crochet? I don't have much experience with the techniques involved, which explains why I didn't know what you were talking about.

If this doesn't help, maybe you can search under Irish Crochet Techniques and see what you can find that way.

Good luck!!

Judy

This is a free pattern at

www.crochetnbeads.com

It is the Swan bookmark.

It didn't really sound like a buillion stitch to me either - I was just hoping.

It definitely is not the bullion st....

Padding cords and padding cord rings are an Irish crochet technique. You work over strands of thread to help the piece retain it's shape and to give definition to the piece. The padding cord ring you simply create a ring of thread that you then sc over for the first round. This gives a beautiful base for the rest of your piece. You can substitute a ch 5, sl st to form ring and then ch 1 and do however many sc the pattern calls for. It won't hold it shape quite as well or have the same definition, But it will do the job.

This is my design and I wanted to share the art of Irish crochet with others with this little piece.

I intend on teaching a class here this fall on how to do these techniques. I have designed a butterfly motif that uses both the padding cord and the padding cord rings.

Thanks so much for this info. I kinda knew I was making this more than it actually was.

Could I do a magic ring but make it with several threads?

I look forward to your class in the fall.

Could I do a magic ring but make it with several threads?

That's what I was just thinking.. hmn :think will have to give that a try for some floral motifs just to check it out. :yay

Archived