Sheer, Re-usable Produce Bags

HomekeepingGran

I may or may not decide to use these all the time but... I guess I got obssessive and made some sheer produce bags to replace the plastic ones you have to pick up at the grocery store. It's made from a sheer curtain I got at a dollar store for $5; the curtain will make 8 nice-sized bags. The drawstrings are lengths of Peaches & Creme, tied off to prevent fraying. Honestly, I have no idea if I will truly like this or not. I am certain I will like not having flimsy plastic bags split on me at the checkout. I am certain I will like reducing that little bit more of plastic in landfills and in my life but, I am uncertain about food storage in them. And I do use my leftover produce bags here and there so this is possibly one of the worst ideas I have ever tried. :lol We'll find out.

I got the idea for these from a blog touting wonderful cotton organdy produce bags, the naturalness of the bag and that it helped (I have my doubts) keep food fresher in the fridge. Okay. So I search for cotton organdy online and the going price is over $30/yard! Uh, I don't think so. Hence, the sheer polyester from a dollar store curtain.

The experiment is underway.

post-11235-135897417283_thumb.jpg

post-11235-135897417285_thumb.jpg

I love the idea!!! I have been trying to think of a light weight fabric that is also sturdy to use for shopping bags, like you I didn't want to spend and arm and a leg for the fabric!! Please let us know how they work out for you and if there is anything you would change about them as you use them. Again great idea!!

I don't know how they will hold up. A number of things we won't store in the fridge to begin with but... I'm afraid I'm bad to let things spoil, forgetting about them. I've got to be very careful to check my produce drawers all the time. I did wrap a cut cucumber in old-fashioned wax paper the other day to put back into the drawer but should it die in there, it's going to be messy. How are you supposed to handle all this? I want to reduce plastic use but...

Any other suggestions for fresh produce storage?

They certainly look nice, Carla! No brilliant ideas on fresh produce storage. I did learn growing up (Mom had a huge garden) that salad keeps crisp if you fill the bowl with water when you have leftovers. (drain, and serve again) I've heard that keeping carrots in water crisps them up too. taters and onions like basements (cool and preferably dry), and I saw a hint that suggests sticking onions in a stocking-leg, with a knot between each one. air circulation and separation.

Your bags look lovely...they'd make nice bags for washing delicates (or anything that'd snag) in the washer too. :)

Archived