They say you have not because you ask not, right?

I had an idea while I was trying to figure out what I'm going to do about getting a comforter/bedspread for our "new to us" king size mattress. Our friends and neighbors gave us their old one. I've always wanted a king size bed becuase kids keep getting into ours (Our neighbor said they have a fogger for this problem...lol!) Seriously though...I kept thinking I wish I could crochet a giant scrap style granny afghan to put over a plane jane comforter but it would take me years to finish a project that large...I wish I had some help! That is what brought me to my idea....maybe some of you would be willing to donate some 6 inch squares to my cause. This would make it all the more special! If this is too presumptuous to ask, please forgive me. I would gladly display this on my bed and post pictures for all to see when it is complete. I don't know if anyone would be interested, but I figure its worth a shot to ask!

Hey, sure, I'll do a couple for you ... I think it'd be kinda neat :) You might also want to get your post count up to 40 and sign up for the 6" square swap that's coming up, which would guarantee you quite a few (in return for you doing quite a few yourself, of course!) Either way though, 6" squares are quick and easy to do with scraps of yarn. Do you have any ideas about color scheme, Lisa? Country colors, bright colors, neutral colors, anything goes?

Thanks! -- that would be super! :lol What does the 40 posts mean? I read on Crochetville pretty much daily but I don't post that often. How does the swap work? I did one swap for another list I'm on but you get the same number of squares you send out. Is that how it works here? Where are the swaps? I see people talking about the swaps but where are the rules/sign-ups?

I think a hodge podge of colors would be okay because I like the scrappy look...just no really bright colors, primary, or neons. I don't know what to call the colors...blues (darks blue family or country blue family), tans and neutrals, greens (dark hunter and mossy greens), burgandy (wines), mauve....how do you classify those types of colors you would generally see in a home? I don't have a particular color scheme once my bedspread changes. I don't want to be too picky either since I don't think I could do this alone anyway! I have sorta country blue and hunter green but not much. I would probably do the joining with border of tan or black to tie them all together. I wish there was a way for me to mark the backs of the squares with who made it and where it came from! That would be really cool!:)

Hey there! I'm in Austin! Since we're practically neighbors, I'll crochet you a square. I have a truckload of scraps, just pm me to tell me what size and where to send it. Would you prefer brights or pastels or doesn't matter?

If you post at least 40 times and wait an hour refresh the Crochetville page and you'll see threads that weren't there before - one being the Swap thread where you can sign up for swaps!

:frog

You know, maybe you should keep an eye on eBay too. I've seen a lot of auctions where people were selling lots of granny squares. Sometimes those auctions seem to sell cheaply (and sometimes not, so as I said, you'd have to watch), so you might get lucky. You would never get enough to make a whole bedspread, I'm sure, but can you imagine how nice it would be to get twenty or forty squares in one fell swoop?

I LOVE Austin! We travel down that with my husband on business quite a bit! I grew up in Blanco, TX...its a little town near you. You know where it is? We're hoping to move back to the hill country as soon as we can!

I'm going with 6" squares because there seems to be more patterns for those online from what I've seen. Any colors that aren't too bright...no neons or primary colors, preferably blues (darks blue family or country blue family), tans and neutrals, greens (dark hunter and mossy greens), burgandy (wines), mauve...."homey" type colors....

Thanks!!

:cheer

I just want to say a big "THANK YOU!!!" to everyone who has responded to my cause! It makes me really excited to be able to do this!

You guys are great!!!

:hook

Lisa if you are still interested I'd be happy to do a few 6" squares and send them to ya. Just PM me and let me know where to send them.

If you are still looking for some squares, just send me the address to ship them off to. I have a ton just laying around that I haven't done anything with. They need a home!

Archived