picture afghan

ginaj

Question

6 answers to this question

yes that is right you have to keep adding colors and yes you have to weave in the threads. Now me i try and carry all my across which alot of the times i have thread showing threw my work. Sometimes what i do if a color shows threw is try and pull it up and cut it that is really not how you are suppose to do the picture graphs but it has worked for me. Hope this helps

Would it not work to have whatever number of balls of yarn coming off the back and you just pick up the necessary color and then drop it and switch to the next color and only end, when you no longer need that color for that color? So you would have multiple balls of the background color in addition to any other colors needed. I have never done a picture afghan before, and therefore have no idea, but I have been contemplating trying one. Thanks.

Hi I want to throw my :2c in. The best way to do a picture afghan in sc is to work from left to right on the graph, row 1 starting on the left.

Now as to the strings hanging down. The way I have done mine (Tinker bell, Dora and the Disney Princesses) is by using bobbins. I wind the yarn around the bobbins and they hang down while you are working. It cuts down on the amount of strings hanging down in the back,and it is a lot easier to use then having a lot of balls or skeins of yarns to get twisted. Most will only carry the old color no less than 2 stitches and no more than 6. That way, you have very little or nothing showing through. With the bobbins, you can have the yarn sitting there, instead of having to pick ut up and have another end to weave in.

I hope I have helped some. If you still have a question, you can pm me and I will try to help:hook .

I don't have a tremendous amount of experience with this, but I have done a few picture squares. Most of the info here is talking about a worked in pattern. You could also cross-stitch the design which would look different than a worked-in pattern, but would not have a lot of ends to sew in.

One consideration is how many colors do you have in your picture? That might make a difference in which method you choose.

Using bobbins is a good way to do it. If you use balls of yarn, I suggest putting each ball in a plastic bag and zip is almost closed, leaving the thread out of course. If you have a lot of colors, they will likely get tangled and you'll spend some time untangling them.

You can also carry your yarn under the stitches you're working. It will almost assuredly show through slightly. If you're using only two colors, you might like the look. If you DO carry your yarn, I suggest carrying it under even in the area you don't need it because it will give a more even look. The thread crocheted over makes the stitch just slightly higher and thicker. You can see what I'm talking about in the breast cancer ribbon pattern on my site.

http://www.crochetcabana.com/patterns/pat-cancer-ribbon.htm

Also, here's a bit about working on a graph with multiple colors.

http://www.crochetcabana.com/specialty/working-from-a-graph.htm

I have a bit about working on a graph, but I see that page is not working, so I will be working on that right now. :-)

Hope this has been some small help.

Archived