using thread patterns with yarn?

woolandflax

Question

have any of you ever used a thread pattern like for a doily but with yarn like for a lacy afghan or a shawl? :idea I want to try but figured I'd see if any of you had experience with this first.

5 answers to this question

Guest SamplerLady

I made a shawl using yarn and filet crochet. It was for our trip to Disneyland so I put a Mouse head and a big M in the pattern.

There isn't any reason a thread pattern can't be used for yarn. It's still all the same stitches. I often think a big doily in baby or sport yarn would look so cool on a bed. :D

When I started making doilies, I used baby yarn and a D hook, because I was too :chicken to try thread. They turned out fine, plus gave me the experience I needed to go to the thread and even smaller hook. The "normal" doily size usually is about 7" across, and these turned out to be about 11".

you should go for it, it will work!

Thanks! I think I will, I've been wanting a shawl with a pineapple pattern in it but couldn't find one at all. I've got an old issue of Decorative Crochet(all thread patterns) and looking at that gave me the idea. When I get it done, i'll try to post a pic. Now I have to figure out what yarn to use, I want something with a little bit of weight but not too much so it will hang right. I love the sheen of Caron Simply Soft but I think it might be too light.....any suggestions?

Rebecca

I do it all the time with doilies. If you use rug yarn and a doily pattern, you can make a georgeous rug.

Also, Pay close attention to doily edges, these pattern edges can be used on afghans, pillows, shawls/ponchos, and even hats if you want.

Archived