Buffalo Thread

Wow, I've never heard of this. Do they shear the buffalo like sheep? I just can't imagine a huge buffalo standing still and letting someone near it! (Maybe I've seen too many wildlife programmes LOL)

Wow, I've never heard of this. Do they shear the buffalo like sheep? I just can't imagine a huge buffalo standing still and letting someone near it! (Maybe I've seen too many wildlife programmes LOL)

:lol Funny picture in my head!:lol Hold still now Mr Buffalo while I come at you with these clippers!

I believe they collect the undercoat that is shed. Anyone know for sure?

Actually, when the buffalo shed in the spring, the "sheds" are picked up for processing. I have visited a couple of buffalo farms where they picked up a few sheds for me to handspin into yarn. You have to consider that the hair falls on the ground and may be stepped on, rolled on, pooped on and peed on. This makes preparing the fiber a very dirty and nasty job, hence the high expense. As most buffalo farmers will tell you, even though they are ranching these animals, they are still wild and highly unpredictable. I have been told you never turn your back on buffalo if you are in the same area as they are. I was fortunate that one fellow had a baby that went down; he sheared the (nice and clean) hair and saved it for me. I was able to get about 3 oz of a nice soft and warm 2-ply yarn. I knitted (sorry) a pair of fingerless mitts which are super warm. If I wear them under my handspun (crocheted)mittens, my hands do not get even a little bit cold! Bufffalo is definitely a fiber best saved for extra special items! :crocheting

Archived