Snowflake Quartet

I've come up with four more snowflake patterns to share with all of you. They are made using size 10 crochet thread and a size 7 steel crochet hook. All of them are about 3 inches in diameter, give or take half an inch. I have a goal for this year to come up with a snowflake design for each month of the year, so these get me through May. I hope you enjoy them as much as I've enjoyed coming up with them.

Abbreviations:

ch = chain

sc = single crochet

sl st = slip stitch

hdc = half double crochet

dc = double crochet

sp = space

tc = triple crochet

dtc(s) = double triple crochet(s)

fptc = front post triple crochet

4tcc = 4 triple crochet cluster

yo = yarn over

Special stitch instructions:

Front Post Triple Crochet: Yarn over twice. Insert the hook from the front into the space to the right of the stitch, going around the back of the stitch, andcoming out again at the front in the space to the left of the stitch. Yarn over and draw up 1 loop (pulling the loop back around to the starting point). Complete the triple crochet as usual. [For the March Snowflake you will be keeping the last loop on the hook.]

4 Triple Crochet Cluster: Work 4 triple crochet stitches keeping the last loop of each tc on the hook, yo and work off all 5 loops on the hook at once.

This is my February "Clumping" Snowflake.

DCP_1567.jpg

Ch 5, join with sl st in 1st ch to form ring.

Round 1: Ch 1, 12 sc in ring, join with sl st in 1st sc.

Round 2: Ch 3 (counts as 1st dc), dc in same st, *2 dc in next sc*, repeat around, joining with sl st in top of starting ch 3.

Round 3: Ch 3 (counts as 1st dc), dc in next dc, ch 2, *dc in each of next 2 dc, ch 2*, repeat around ending with sl st in top of starting ch 3.

Round 4: Ch 3 (counts as 1st dc), dc in next dc, *3 dc in ch 2 sp, dc in next 2 dc, (2 dc, ch 2, 2 dc) in next ch 2 sp, dc in next 2 dc,* repeat around ending with sl st in top of starting ch 3.

Round 5: Ch 1, sc in same stitch, *ch 3, skip 2 dc, sc in next dc, ch 3, skip 2 dc, sc in next dc, ch 3, (2dc, ch 5, sl st in 4th ch from hook, ch 1, 2 dc) in ch 2 sp, ch 3, skip 2 dc, sc in next dc*, repeat around ending with sl st in starting sc.

Fasten off, hide tails, starch and block.

March snow up north tends to be wet and heavy, so my March Snowflake is compact and solid, too.

DCP_1583.jpg

Ch 6, join with sl st in 1st ch to form ring.

Round 2: Ch 7, *tc in next sc, ch 3*, repeat around ending with sl st in 4th ch of ch 7.

Round 3: Ch 1, *4 sc in ch 3 sp,* repeat around ending with sl st in 1st sc.

Round 4: Ch 1, sc in same sp, *hdc in next sc, dc in next sc, ch 2, tc in next sc keeping last loop on hook, fptc starting in same sp as last st and keeping last loop on hook, tc in next sc keeping last loop on hook, yo and pull through all 4 loops on hook at once, ch 5, sl st in top of prior st, ch 2, dc in next sc, hdc in next sc, sc in each of next 2 sc*, repeat around ending with sl st in beginning sc.

April Snowflake: (April snow is also wet and heavy when it comes.)

DCP_1584.jpg

Ch 6, sl st in 1st ch to form ring.

Round 2: Ch 4, dc in same st, *ch 1, dc in next sc, ch 1, dc in same sc*, repeat around ending with ch 1, join with sl st in 3rd ch of starting ch 4.

Round 3: Ch 1, sc in same st, *ch 5, skip 1 dc, sc in next dc*, repeat around ending with ch 5, join with sl st in 1st sc.

Round 4: Ch 1, sc in same stitch, *ch 5, 4tcc in next ch 5 sp, ch 5, 4tcc in next ch 5 sp, ch 5, sc in next sc*, repeat around ending with ch 2, dc in beginning sc.

Round 5: Ch 1, sc in same loop, *ch 1, sc in next loop, ch 7, 4tcc in top ch 5 loop, ch 5, sl st in top of cluster stitch just made, ch 7, sc in next loop*, repeat around ending with ch 7, sl st in 1st sc made.

Fasten off, hide tails, starch & block.

May Snowflake: Having come up with several solid flakes it seemed time to make one that was light and airy again for May.

DCP_1585.jpg

Ch 6, join with sl st to form ring.

Round 2: Ch 5, dtc in next sc, *ch 5, dtc in each of next 2 sc*, repeat around ending with sl st in 4th ch of starting ch 5.

Round 3: Ch 6, *dc in top of 1st dtc, ch 3, tc between the 2 dtcs, ch 3, dc in top of 2nd dtc, ch 3, sc in ch 5 loop, ch 3*, repeat around ending with sl st in 3rd ch of starting ch 6.

Round 4: Sl st to center of next ch 3 sp, ch 1, sc in same space, ch 3, tc in same sp, *ch 6, sl st in 5th ch from hook, ch 1, 2 tc in next ch 3 sp, ch 5 skip next ch 3 sp, sc in sc, ch 5, skip next ch 3 sp, 2 tc in next sc 3 sp*, repeat around ending with sl st in top of starting ch 3.

Linda-

Thanks for the great snowflakes! Do you have one for January? I think I will make 5 sets of these for my mother, grandmother & daughters for Christmas :clap. Super job ... Looking forward to the months to come!

Carol, crocheting 2 stay sane in KS

Linda-

Thanks for the great snowflakes! Do you have one for January? I think I will make 5 sets of these for my mother, grandmother & daughters for Christmas :clap. Super job ... Looking forward to the months to come!

Carol, crocheting 2 stay sane in KS

Thanks, Carol. Yes, there is a January snowflake listed here under "Airy January Snowflake." You'll have to go back a ways, but it's there.

Thanks, Carol. Yes, there is a January snowflake listed here under "Airy January Snowflake." You'll have to go back a ways, but it's there.

Thanks for all the new flakes, Linda. I'm looking forward to doing all of them.

And Carol, the January flake is here:

http://www.crochetville.org/forum/showpost.php?p=1625569&postcount=1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I made a few snowflake ornaments for the first time to give as Christmas gifts. I had such fun doing it and it was my first time to work with thread. I guess it's time for me to begin making this year's ornaments. Thanks for sharing your lovely patterns.

Archived