Market Bags

thecraftynaturelady

Have any of you embarked on something like this? Any tips appreciated!

http://www.thecraftynaturelady.etsy.com

I'm going to sell crocheted market bags this year at my local farmer's market, as most vendors use plastic. If people bring an item for the local food bank, I'll take a dollar off their purchase and deliver the produce/items later that day.

Right now they're pretty basic, but I'm planning to expand colors, add decorations, and expand to tote and gift bags once I've gotten a market bag inventory established. Thanks for viewing!

Linda

I've made tons of market bags. I've made them in cotton and worsted weight yarn. I didn't find too much difference. Cotton seem like the choice, but with the market bags from the store, WW acrylic doesn't seem too much different. And they both work for bringing home groceries in. For veggies or a farmers market, cotton may be the better choice, but then again with dyes, etc., it may not matter too much in the end.

I liked making them, but most were lots of chain loops and I wanted something faster so I made up a pattern that would be fast and easy (v-St Shopping Bag - link).

I started a CAL but it's not very active, although there are tons of links to patterns on there if you're interested.

I found that I use my market bags for other things besides marketing :blush... they do work good for lots of uses.:yes

Good luck.

Debbi

Thanks for the pattern, Debbie - and to all for the encouragement! I agree that the bags are so useful for so many more things than just groceries... for clothes shopping, packing for a short trip, going to the beach... Just bought a big stash to boost inventory from Peaches and Creme so I'll be crocheting a lot in the next few weeks.

I've made a couple bags out of Omega nylon that I really like. They're just mesh with a sc handle, but the body is in variegated and the tops are solid. When I made the first one I didn't realize how much it would stretch, and I left the grocery store with my bag hanging down around my knees! :lol I brought it home and reduced the size by about half, and now it works great. I keep them in the car, and when I remember to bring them into a store I always get compliments. :hook

Archived